It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:36 am

Free Newsletter

living with a junk-food junkie

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

living with a junk-food junkie

Postby FatBottomedGirl » Thu May 14, 2009 1:14 pm

It's just NOT FRAKKIN' FAIR. My husband eats loads of potato chips, lots of ice cream, pizza and donuts and he never gains an ounce. He's 6'2" and weighs 200 lbs--exactly the same as when we met nearly 18 years ago. I've struggled all my life with weight and if I eat like my husband, I start to look like, "fatty, fatty 2 by 4, can't get through the kitchen door." But he won't eat anything healthy, so I've always got the tempting garbage in the house.

Anyway, I'm not in the best of moods tonight and my husband is on the sofa, having just washed down a bag of chips with a milkshake. My question is this:

Should I tell him to cram it? Or should I tell him to cram it sideways?

awaiting your wisdom,
F.B.G.
FatBottomedGirl

Re: living with a junk-food junkie

Postby court » Thu May 14, 2009 1:27 pm

Hey there!
I think you need to let him know that:
1) he needs to be supportive of you and your choices! AND...
2) even though he isnt gaining weight he is putting immeasurable stress on his system by eating that rubbish and it WILL eventually catch up on him!
Good luck with it - i cant even imagine having rubbish food in my house (i always convince myself that once it is gone it is gone so i may as well eat it all in one go!!) - I am lucky my man is a fitness freak so he yells at ME when i want to binge :) You just need to shift hiss attitude as well :roll: :D
court

Postby Shalimar » Thu May 14, 2009 1:38 pm

I vote for sideways without the lube :lol: .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby FatBottomedGirl » Fri May 15, 2009 12:44 am

Court, as much as I wish I could get his attitude to change, I have learned that it is a pointless battle. The man smokes a pack a day. When our daughter gets after him about quitting, he tells her, "I'm no quitter." His attitudes about the crap he eats are similarly childish. If he goes grocery shopping with me, he says, "eew, what's that?" every time I put something green and leafy in the cart.

Shalimar, I like the way you think.
FatBottomedGirl

Postby Shalimar » Fri May 15, 2009 8:57 am

:lol: .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby whit3tig3y » Mon May 18, 2009 4:01 pm

My partner is the same. He has fast food about 4 times a week, insists on eating potato chips and chocolate every night, almost everything is deep fried or is full of fat.

It used to bother me, i would yell at him and get no where. I've just learnt self control, and to ignore it. I can now go to the shop, buy myself subway, by him hungry jacks, and walk home without opening the hungry jacks bag to steal one chip!

I think its easier when theres a junk food junkie in your house, it teaches you self control at the beginning rather than later :)
SW: 139.3kg - 01/01/2012
CW: 136.8kg - 08/01/2012
Goal: 60kg

whit3tig3y

Postby sportybee » Mon May 18, 2009 11:27 pm

FatBottomedGirl wrote:It's just NOT FRAKKIN' FAIR. My husband eats loads of potato chips, lots of ice cream, pizza and donuts and he never gains an ounce. He's 6'2" and weighs 200 lbs--exactly the same as when we met nearly 18 years ago. I've struggled all my life with weight and if I eat like my husband, I start to look like, "fatty, fatty 2 by 4, can't get through the kitchen door." But he won't eat anything healthy, so I've always got the tempting garbage in the house.

Anyway, I'm not in the best of moods tonight and my husband is on the sofa, having just washed down a bag of chips with a milkshake. My question is this:

Should I tell him to cram it? Or should I tell him to cram it sideways?

awaiting your wisdom,
F.B.G.

The behaviour of your husband is bothering - therefore you should definitely tell him. I also can't stand those people who can eat and eat and eat and still look fabulous. I have a girlfriend that can eat everything she wants without putting on weight - I am really jealous. Obviously if you are in a relationship with a person like that this will make things much harder.
I think your husband will understand you if you just let him know - it doesn't mean that he has to stop eating fast food but probably he can stop eating it in front of you. I guess this would already help you a lot...
sportybee

Postby Riayn » Tue May 19, 2009 3:31 pm

Eating that crap isn't doing him any good. Whilst it may not look like he has any fat on him, I am betting that there is heaps of fat around his organs, which is the most dangerous kind. You simply can not eat that junk and expect that it will have no effect whatsoever.
Therefore, do what you need to do to lose weight. If that is eating healthy and he doesn't like it so be it. You cook what you want to eat and if he doesn't want it then he can go get his own meals. If you clean up your diet, hopefully he will join you and improve his health at the same time.
Spud On The Run - A Couch Potato's Guide to Weight Loss & Fitness
Rainbow Of Chaos - The Life of a Thirtysomething Geek Girl

SW: 84.5kg
CW: 73.8kg
GW: 67kg
Riayn

Return to Ask the Mob