It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:18 pm

Free Newsletter

Water - I can't drink it! help!

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Water - I can't drink it! help!

Postby alisvolatpropriis » Fri May 15, 2009 10:28 am

ok - so i know i should drink about 8 glasses a day!

I really struggle - i have 2 and i'm off to the loo every 20 minutes!

why is this?! how can i drink more water without going to the loo so often!?
SW: 70kg
CW: 69.9kg
Goal 1: 65kg
Goal 2: 60kg
Ultimate Goal: 55kg
alisvolatpropriis

Re: Water - I can't drink it! help!

Postby Janeyc1983 » Fri May 15, 2009 10:48 am

I am the same hun, I drink a 600ml bottle and need to go 15 mins later, and then again 15 mins later. However I do try and drink 3 600ml bottles per day, then another one at the gym.

It doesn't bother me, I like getting up out of the my chair for the walk - if my workmates ever said anything to me (not that anyone ever has!) I'd just laugh it off and say 'yep trying to drink the 2l per day!' or something.

I find I can easily get through a 750ml bottle when I am exercising, and not need to go to the loo, obviously cos this is sweating the water out of me, but yep, if I drink lots of whater during the day at work when I;m just sitting at my desk it's a different story. I guess its your body trying to tell you it doesnt need that much fluid (after all you don't sweat much while sitting inside), but it's still great for flushing toxins out, great for your skin, and upping water intake is meant to be great for weight loss overall...so stick at it!
Highest weight: 76kg
SW: 75 kg (September 2008)
CW: 69kg (26 May 2009)
GW: 64kg <_---------------------------- **
YAY - in the 60's!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wKecLuP/]
[/url]
Janeyc1983

Postby alisvolatpropriis » Fri May 15, 2009 10:51 am

Thanks Janey
ooh I am so glad to know I am not the only one! My workmates seem to drink lots and NEVER have to go!

haha no one says anything - but it's just so frustrating! You're right though - when I'm at taekwondo I can drink a whole bottle and not have to go at all!

And I will stick to it... :D
alisvolatpropriis

Postby court » Fri May 15, 2009 11:01 am

Def try and stick to it! When i started drinking 2.5L a day i could not get off the toilet! Now my body asks me for it everyday :) And i have found that the toilet trips are less frequent...bit of advice though - try not to drink TOO much after around 5pm - as you will have to get up during the night and have unbroken sleep! :roll:
court

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri May 15, 2009 1:23 pm

I think there are two things to think about when deciding how much water to drink: what's the minimum you need, and how much is too much.

The 8 glasses per day rule comes from old US medical advice and equals about 1.8L of water. Many medical experts consider this advice outdated. Whether you need that much depends on how much you are sweating, and how much water you get in the food you eat (we actually get quite a bit of water this way). Some health authorities recommend as little as 1.2L of water per day in colder climates, others recommend up to 2L. What they all advise is letting your thirst tell you how much you need to drink. If you are thirsty, drink water. If you are hungry between meals, drink water. Thirst sometimes masquerades as hunger so sometimes a glass of water will fix it. However often hunger is simply hunger so if you're still hungry you know you need to eat something!

The other thing to consider is whether you can get too much of a good thing. Firstly, a study done last year discovered there is very little scientific evidence that consuming extra water on top of our daily requirements has any health benefits. People have claimed it's good for weight loss, skin, kidney function and headaches but there appears to be virtually no evidence from published scientific research to back this up. Secondly, too much water can be dangerous. There have been instances where excess water consumption has caused brain swelling and death. Here we're talking about 4L in two hours, so not really something you could easily do accidentally, but it's something to bear in mind when you force yourself to drink a lot of water.

'Just add water', Journal of the American Society of Nephrology (opens a PDF)

BBC: Lots of water 'is little benefit'.

BBC Why is too much water dangerous?

Now if you excuse me, my mug is empty so I'm off to get myself another glass of water. :wink:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby alisvolatpropriis » Fri May 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks Court! 2 glasses so far and about 6 toilet trips :?

and thanks for the tip re: after 5! good point!
alisvolatpropriis

Postby alisvolatpropriis » Fri May 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Thanks Ali - I want to drink more to lose weight more quickly!

It seems to have worked for a few people on the forum!

I don't drink alot of water - 2 glasses and 6 toilet trips is a bit crazy! maybe there's something wrong with my bladder?
alisvolatpropriis

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri May 15, 2009 1:51 pm

No worries. It's great to try different methods in weight loss. I hope it works for you! I just thought it might be useful to present what current research has to say about drinking water, especially about the dangers of excess water consumption. I know you're not planning on drinking four litres of water, but I worry about people stumbling upon this forum and deciding to load themselves with water not realising the dangers. I came across a post last night from someone who had drunk four litres in the day and was wondering if it was safe. To say I completely freaked out is an understatement. :shock:

As to why you're going to the toilet so often, it could depend on your menstrual cycle. I know the week before TTOTM I'm going to the loo every fifteen minutes! But as others said, it could be your body getting used to the sudden increase in fluids. It should settle down in time.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby alisvolatpropriis » Fri May 15, 2009 2:01 pm

haha thanks i think my body has had enough for the day!

=)
alisvolatpropriis

Return to Ask the Mob