It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:16 pm

Free Newsletter

A little frustrated

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: A little frustrated

Postby court » Fri May 29, 2009 3:25 pm

No CC it is obvious you are trying to help! I am sure Gordz will take all our advice into account! Gordz I was never hungry when I was fat... ever.... and then when i did get hungry well i ate and i ate heaps! I just hope you take into account what CC has to say she is really good at this diet/lifestyle/health stuff! I used to have a friend that saved all her WW points for champagne followed by mcdonalds..she developed type 2 diabetes and i would hate to see anyone else go down that track.
Good luck
court

Postby Gordz » Fri May 29, 2009 3:31 pm

thanks CC, i've tried the whole fruit and veggie thing with the 6 small meals a day, and it's really not for me. for one, i can barely manage 2000 a day regardless where they come from, two, my body has never had the reccommended fruit and veggies, and last time i tried that, i think it went into shock and it was a very 'messy' week :S

on a brighter note though, this morning I weighed in at my lightest weight since I started my weight loss :D
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby court » Fri May 29, 2009 3:39 pm

probably for a week or maybe two weeks it would be difficult but far out looking forward down the track your body would thank you for it! But thats just my opinion obviously everyone is different!
Congrats on the weight loss :D and good luck
court

Postby candycane » Fri May 29, 2009 3:47 pm

you need to give it a good try - if you don't like fruit and veg you can get around it, white seems to. But if you can eat it, and dont get physcially sick like she does, you should. Even if it's just some salad on a sandiwch for lunch, or a side salad for dinner and a piece of fruit at morning tea time. You don't have to completely saturate your diet with it, you just have to introduce these things into it slowly, of course the added fibre would have an affect on your bowl movements especially since your body isn't used to it.

I think personally to loose weight and at your size you should aim for about 1600 calories per day. Have you spoken to a nutritionist? I think that would be very beneficial in your situation. You could work together around what you can, can't or want to eat. And give you advice as to the number of calories you should be eating. 300 is not even enough to sustain the average persons daily functioning calories ie what you burn to keep your organs working properly...
Goal: 65-67 kg <-------Ultimate Goal:
For now? No weighing for a few weeks...
candycane

Postby soniad » Fri May 29, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi klm,

It's true that to lose weight you have to expend more energy than you intake. But cutting down too much can really play havoc with your metabolism. Food is our fuel and without it, we are literally running on empty. But our bodies are also very clever and well equipped to ensure our survival no matter what. So if you don't get enough calories (from the right sources as others have mentioned), your body will fight you every step of the way; it will deliberately slow down your metabolism so it can save you from starvation.

What then happens is that if and when you go back to eating more calories, you will put all that weight back on and then some more; AND it will be even harder to lose that weight because your mtabolism will have slowed right down.

The other thing you mentioned is that you're losing centimetres but it's not showing on the scales - that's still a really good result. On your body, 5 pounds of fat takes up much more room than 5 pounds of muscle. So where it might seem on the scales that you have not lost any weight, it's obvious from your post that you HAVE lost fat and maybe gained lean muscle mass. So all weight is not equal. Because muscle is denser than fat the person with less fat and more muscle will look slimmer and more toned. Hang in there, your hard work will eventually show on the scales as well.

Hope this helps in some way
soniad

Postby Jisgone » Fri May 29, 2009 11:40 pm

I tried to do what your doing gordz, it worked for a few weeks then i lost nothing for about 4 weeks even tho i was only averaging about 700 calories a day. Im not an expert on the subject but i tried it and now im back to eating about 1500 calories a day and losing more weight this way. It seems so great in principle but our bodies just dont work like that!
Jisgone

Postby alisvolatpropriis » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:43 pm

Hmmm on the days i train i only end up eating about 500 cals :? I can't eat more as i don't feel hungry!

should i be forcing myself to eat more to get up to 1200?!
SW: 70kg
CW: 69.9kg
Goal 1: 65kg
Goal 2: 60kg
Ultimate Goal: 55kg
alisvolatpropriis

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:50 pm

I would. You're most likely not just putting yourself into starvation mode with that few calories, you're probaby missing out on vital nutrients. If you have problems eating more calories try to add some calorie dense healthy food like nuts or avocado. It may seem counter-intuitive, but if you eat more calories and get closer to your recommended calorie level you'll probably find yourself losing weight faster.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby alisvolatpropriis » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:56 pm

Thanks Ali, I have some questions and don't want to hijack this post!

but for some reason i can't PM you!?!?!?! could you please pm me so i can reply?

many thanks in advance!
SW: 70kg
CW: 69.9kg
Goal 1: 65kg
Goal 2: 60kg
Ultimate Goal: 55kg
alisvolatpropriis

Previous

Return to Ask the Mob