It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:40 pm

Free Newsletter

Need advice with dieting

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Need advice with dieting

Postby Frannycat » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:14 pm

Help, I would really like some advice. I'm one of the lucky ones who've never really needed to diet, it's just good genes that's all. But about 12 months ago I noticed my clothes were becoming tight and I weighed myself and found that I had gained nearly 10kgs. For a few months I just watched what I ate, did some more exercising (walking mainly) and found that the weight hadn't budged. So, I started keeping check of my carbs and hidden sugars and again after a few months absolutely nothing. In desperation I went to the doctor, he did a full blood count, thyroid, hormones etc. and found everything was fine. So by now I'm starting to get a little cheesed off about this and now because I now have a jaw problem and can't chew properly I thought well this is as good a time to start dieting seriously as any and bought some shakes, Opti-Slim. Now after nearly 2 weeks, you guessed it, absolutely no weight off. None. Zilch.

A typical food day for me has generally been
Breakfast - Porrige with low fat milk (actually I like semi-skim), maybe a scant tea spoon of brown sugar, but I don't really have a sweet tooth.
Lunch - either home made broth with vegetables or maybe stir fried veges with some chicken.
Dinner - grilled meat or fish with vegetables or another stir fry.
I'm not keen on rice or noodles either.
I drink several cups of green tea a day, plus I really like just plain water.
Snacks- cheese (without overdoing it), almonds or walnuts, home made pate with some wafers or crispbread. If I want something sweet I will have a small packet of dried fruit or a smoothie made with semi-skim milk and either a banana or strawberries.

I don't drink caffeine and the only bread I really like is a heavy grain Burgen (I think) and had potato with every meal as a child and just can't face them too often any more.

Now on Opti-Slim I have a shake for breakfast and lunch and either my meat and vegetable broth (the meat is finely shredded at the moment), water, green tea and home made pate when I need to snack (really craving almonds at the moment).

Can someone please help me? I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose and even now I'm technically not overweight but my clothes just don't fit anymore.
Frannycat

Re: Need advice with dieting

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Ok, my guess is: if you've not been doing much exercise and not been very active for most of your life due to being one of those blessed-by-the-gods people who don't have to watch what they eat, your muscle tone was probably fairly low and your metabolism probably got a bit complacent. Then as you get older (and I don't know how old you are), your body starts going a bit pudgy round the middle and with no muscle tone to raise your resting metabolism you've got minimal fat burn time.

My advice: eat sensibly (though you're doing that I see) and get some good cardio in to your regime (to burn that extra) and some good resistance training as well to tone your muscles, build strength and keep up your resting metabolism.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Frannycat » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:59 pm

c...c....c...cardio???????????
Frannycat

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:00 pm

LOL, yeah scary huh? So cardio is stuff that will raise your heart rate and make you puff etc like walking (the faster or further the better) swimming, cycling, running and so forth. Resistance training is stuff like push ups, pilates, situps, weights (which make you puff as well, but more focused on making your muscles hurt). I kinda think about cardio as being exercise that makes my lungs hurt/puff and resistance as being exercise that makes my muscles hurt. Of course most exercises have a bit of both, but it's whatever hurts most I guess LOL.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Frannycat » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:07 am

Hiya, after a fair bit of soul searching over the last few days and having a bit of a blind panic about cardio it finally hit me about my so called "rapid" weight gain. Up until a few years ago I had a quarter acre yard that I mowed two to three times a week in summer and once a week in winter, I walked the 8-10 kilometer round trip to the uni campus carrying heavy text books anything up to 4 times a week and walked my dog twice a day.

So I now live in a villa with a small yard, finished my degree last June and my dog, at nearly 20 years old, died in January. I think what I have been relying on was what the experts called 'incidental exercise' and the funny thing was that I didn't even know I was doing it. Plus I've hit my 40s. It's all added up and I am beginning to wonder if I am genetically blessed or over the last 10 years been too busy to worry about my weight.

Thank you Butterfly_Dawn for making me think and even though the idea of a going to a gym still sends shudders up and down my spine I realise that if I don't get in control of my weight now it's just going to keep going up. So cardio class here I come.

Fran
Frannycat

Postby Gordz » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:13 am

Good call on the cardio class. thats frantastic!

...... :D
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:16 pm

Good on you! Sonds like you might be right about yur incidental exercise - it's amazing how quickly all those small things add up!

You don't HAVE to go to a gym to get cardio if you don't want to. I didn't step foot in one till recently, and even then it's an aqua-aerobics class and just started boot camp, not like a stereotypical gym thing. I'm not really a gym person. As it is, the boot camp will test me.

As an example, my cardio over the last few years came from:
walking and jogging round a local track before work
Cycling to/from work/uni
Walking my dog (sorry about your pooch by the way :( )
Badminton - does that count as gym?? I don't think so

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Ask the Mob