It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:44 pm

Free Newsletter

G.I.

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

G.I.

Postby Gordz » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:54 am

so, how come weetbix on their own are 'moderate' G.I, but add milk, and it's 'low' G.I.?
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Re: G.I.

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:02 am

Same reason Milo is low GI (when mixed with milk). GI isn't (unfortunately) just about energy content from carbs, it accounts for the proportion of carbs to protein etc. So you add milk, proportion goes down (and technically your body doesn't absorb the carbs as quickly because it's busying itself with the protein - by the way, combining really simple starchy foods like potato with protein is a sure way to give yourself a bad case of gas... while your stomach is digesting your steak, the chips are sitting there fermenting). Doesn't make Milo good for you though - as much as they would love for you to believe it.

They advise to aim for low GI foods, but to also be smart and look at the fat and sugar content - If sugar is within the first 3-4 ingredients, not such a good choice. You can allow a bit higher GI if there's fruit in it (like muesli). Weet bix isn't too bad as a carb, maybe try and get the multi grain version or the vita brit version (no added sugar) to reduce things a bit further if you felt the need.

Also, a good rule of thumb is to think of your plate as being 1/2 vegies/fruit 1/4 protein and 1/4 carbs. I learned that one lot long ago - it's a keeper!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Gordz » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:15 am

what do you think of those that are anti-carbs for dinner if you're thinking 1/4 plate carbs?
Last edited by Gordz on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: bit of engrish going on there
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby court » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:32 am

english gordz?
court

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:59 pm

Their choice.

Carbs are what your body runs on - if you're about to go to bed, giving your body energy does seem a bit pointless. BUT if you're going to get up in the morning and run a marathon, then some recently stored energy is going to be good so you don't need a big breakfast that will slow you down.

You'll know what works for you. If you cut the carbs from your evening meal and it works, go for it. Do the breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper thing. If you can't live without some carbs at each meal, go for it, just make it sensible.

I've seen heaps of people on here get successes with all kinds of different approaches. I'll give my poinion, but I'm not going to ever say "this is the only way".

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:01 pm

Me and spelling :roll: bah

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Gordz » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:40 am

thanks for that =) I have no idea what works for me yet!
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:54 pm

Good! That means you've got lots of fun finding out ahead of you! :D

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Gordz » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:51 am

no it's not fun!!! i lost 4.6kg in a week when i ate very little, but everyone told me to eat 2000cals a day, so i've been doing that and i've basically maintained for the past two weeks, yet i'm getting noticably smaller... hell, i wore a shirt to work today i haven't been able to fit into in over a year, yet i'm stuck on 126kg!
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:10 pm

When I first started trying to lose weight I put on 10kg over 2 weeks! Very disheartening, but you just get on with it and keep going. I think about it in terms of being a scientist testing hypotheses about what will help you then it doesn't seem as personal when it doesn't quite work the way you thought it would. People will give you advice, some of it will work, some of it won't. Some will drive you bonkers (such as being told "oh, you should try this new diet" by well meaning friends every 5 min).

The fun bit (in the world according to Tegan anyway) is being challenged and being creative and really looking at what you're doing and trying to find different ways to get the exercise and stuff. For e.g. , I went through an obsession with being creative with salads of different varieties and findig ways to make the foods I like better for me (e.g. home made low fat high veg pizza mmmm) LOL. And of course exercise - I went through walking, badminton, jogging, pilates, cycling, swimming, aqua-aerobics, dog walking, and about to start boot camp. Lots of them I enjoy, some I didn't, some I came to enjoy after a while, some I still do, some I'll probably go back to eventually etc.

But every experience I have I try to get someting out of and learn from.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby court » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:22 pm

Hey BFD..
You are sounding so much like me RIGHT NOW! Experimenting with how many veges I can fit on a little tortilla pizza base, investigating every form of exercise known to man! Also... i have been considering boot camp... keep me posted on houw you go! :D
court

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:36 pm

You know you've got enough vegies on when half way through cooking the whole lot topples over and you have to scoop it up off the tray and eat it kinda like a warm vege salad :lol:

I've been doing this for a while now, so I've had plenty of time to exeriment and I'm STILL finding new things! Booty starts next week - looking forward to it. It's run by a class mate of mine and she's super fit and super energetic - and doesn't take poor excuses LOL. Should be a bit of a giggle me thinks. Only downer is I still have to be cautious because of my back (can't wait to have it all better and be back on my damn bike).

Anyone in Hobart (yeah, I know, I'm dreaming) who wants to join me for booty, PM me and I'll give you contact details.

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Ask the Mob