It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:13 am

Free Newsletter

Ok to eat or not ok..?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Ok to eat or not ok..?

Postby Xiae » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:26 pm

I need to know if these food are bad for you or are okay to eat.

Food

Avocado
Mayonaise
Cottage Cheese
Eggs??? (How many should I have a week?)
Cashews
Those flavour tin tunas
weight watches pre-made dinners?

Drinks

Diet Cordial
Coke Zero (I don't understand whats so bad about it)

Any suggestions on what I can buy from the super-market? As I'm not much of a cook. And does anyone have or know a good low-carb diet plan? As I know carbs are my major problem.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS0pMyh/]
[/url]
Xiae

Re: Ok to eat or not ok..?

Postby Shalimar » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:38 pm

In my opinion no food is bad but the amounts at which they should be eaten are very different :) .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:42 pm

I agree with Shalimar. The foods you have listed have good aspects and bad aspects, so you need to weigh them up in deciding how often to eat them.

Avocados are an excellent source of healthy fats. However they are very high in fat and calories. Consider them a treat food. Or use a small amount of mashed avocado in lieu of margarine on your toast or sandwiches. That way you're substituting it for something that's higher in fat and calories.

Mayonnaise is usually high in fat. You can get low-fat versions, but they compensate by adding sugar instead. Check out the fat and calorie content next time you pick up a jar. Again, I'd classify it as a treat food. You're better off using a fat-free salad dressing instead.

If you're going to buy cottage cheese, opt for low-fat. It is a lower-calorie choice than most other cheeses.

If you are going to use eggs, consider using only the egg white. The fat and most of the calories in an egg are in the yolk. An egg white omelet is far lower in calories and fat than a normal omelet.

Cashews, like all nuts, contain healthy fats. However, they are still high in calories. If you are going to eat them then keep to small portions. 20 cashews are 199 calories with 13g of fat.

The flavoured tunas can be quite low in fat and calories depending on what they're flavoured with. Steer clear of the ones with olives as they add fat and calories. Just compare the nutrient labels on the tins. The onion and tomato John West Light Tuna Tempter 100g tin only has 81 calories.

Weight-Watchers pre-made dinners are a better option than non-diet pre-made dinners, but check the sodium levels. It would probably be healthier to make the meal yourself from scratch, but these are a handy option for when you don't have time to cook.

Diet cordial and diet soft drinks are an interesting diet conundrum. On the one hand they are a better option than sugary cordials and soft-drinks as they are far lower in calories. However studies done on rats show that rats eating artificial sweeteners end up consuming more calories than rats eating food sweetened with sugar. It's thought that the artificial sweetener confuses the brain. The sweet taste tells the body to prepare for a huge calorie hit. When those calories don't come the body makes you more hungry to try and get those calories from elsewhere. Water is a better alternative, but to be honest I'll have a few diet soft drinks in the evening. Mainly as a healthier substitute for red wine!

If carbs are your major problem you might find a low GI diet would be better for you. If you love carbs a low-carb diet could be too hard for you to stick to. Low GI simply gives you a list of carbs that will keep you fuller for longer. Links: About the low-GI diet, the Glycemic Index (includes a database of foods).

If you are keen on low-carb you can find out more about it on this site.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:31 am

Ditto that :wink:

All foods are pretty well do-able if you do it sensibly and realistically. Be sure to keep the simple high GI carbs down as much as possible and reduce particularly saturated fats, everything else in moderation and you should be more or less fine with a bit of tweaking.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Ask the Mob