It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:47 am

Free Newsletter

Calorie intake

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Calorie intake

Postby iizman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:01 pm

Hello,

Because I am on a shake program, I only consume about 800-1000 calories and I am full!

The suggested calorie for me is 1200, but if I eat 800calories daily will I still lose weight? I have been eating well and exercising over the last 3 weeks but no results.

I'm a 5ft 2 and weight 63kgs.

help?
iizman

Re: Calorie intake

Postby Jisgone » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 am

You will lose weight at the start but your body will soon adjust to so few cals and you'll stop.
Its pointless starting off on such low cals because you have no where to go from here, log onto calorieking.com.au and fill in the info to see how many cals you should be eating, then gradually reduce the amount of cals you consume as you drop more weight so your still eating a reasonable amount of food even when close to your goal weight.
Jisgone

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:21 am

Shake programs were originally designed for obese and morbidly obese people to lose a lot of weight quickly at the start of their weight loss journey. They were designed to be used under medical supervision, and really that is the way they should be used. The initial fast weight loss was to reduce any medical problems obesity was causing, and to give incentive to continue the weight loss journey by using food and exercise. Unfortunately now they are marketed as the quick fix for everyone's weight loss when they really aren't meant to help with those last few kilos people struggle with.

Given your height and weight you're already close to your healthy weight. Shakes probably won't be the answer. If you want to try it by all means do, but talk to your doctor first. Very Low Calorie diets really do need to be done under medical supervision as they subject your body to starvation conditions.

Have you tried keeping a food diary? The site that Jewles mentioned, Calorie King, enables you to keep track of what you eat and how many calories it's worth. There are two possibilities why you're not losing weight. Either you're still eating too many calories, either by picking the wrong healthy food, through too much snacking (even healthy foods add up!) or through excessive portion sizes. Or you are eating too few calories. If you are cutting down what you're eating and excercising too much then your calorie deficit may actually take you into starvation mode. For instance, if you're eating 1300 calories per day but exercising away 500 calories then that only leaves your body 800 calories to operate. By keeping a food diary for a week or so you should be able to see where the problem is.

Here is an article about weight loss plateaus that may help: Plateau Busters

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby onthedecrease » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:01 pm

wow id love to know which shake diet that is as 800cals is way under what you should be consuming at any rate I know TF and CS both aim for 1200 which is the min amount to sustain your body properly. The less you eat the quicker you will go into starvation mode and make it even harder to lose weight.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby iizman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:15 pm

The thing is, even on 800 cal I am full and dont feel like eating.

So I should definitely up to 1200cal and I will see results soon? I exercise 1 hour of cardio 6 days a week and weights 3-4 days a week.
iizman

Postby onthedecrease » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:07 pm

if your doing that amount of exercise 1200 calories would be the bare minimum needed to cover your expenditure your body burns roughly 1400cals just surviving day to day alone without any exercise at all. try calorie king as the others have suggested to get an idea of what you should be consuming for your weight
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby domcar » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:55 pm

Lay off any sugar and bread products!
domcar

Postby onthedecrease » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:20 pm

carbs are an important part in any diet!
[/url]
onthedecrease

Return to Ask the Mob