It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:40 pm

Free Newsletter

How to Control Weight After You Quit Smoking?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

How to Control Weight After You Quit Smoking?

Postby kiran_patil » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:45 pm

hey hiii to everyone.............I have a query regarding Smoking and weight Gain. My friend is a chain smoker but from last 2 months he has cut down on his smoking, but he feels that it is putting a adverse effect on his health especially on his weight. Is this really bcause he has reduce smoking or its just in his mind. Is there a negative impact on your health after u quit smoking??
kiran_patil

Re: How to Control Weight After You Quit Smoking?

Postby Amethyst » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:57 pm

There are those who gain weight after quitting smoking but I would say it's healthier to Quit than to not to avoid weight gain. Weight gain can be countered Smoking effects can't.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wx5Tquf/]
[/url]
Amethyst

Postby jayanthudar » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:12 pm

It is always the best if one can stop smoking for better health. However, most of the smokers who quit doing so would face the same problem. They gain much weight after they quit smoking. Is this effect applicable to everyone? Not really. It only happens to those heavy smokers who have smoked for more than 10 years. For those light smokers, they hardly gain weight when they quit.

In fact, gaining some weight is a normal outcome. Nothing to be worried as it is the effect of nicotine leaving the body. In average, smokers who stop smoking normally gain about 10 pounds. If they gain excessive weight, they are advised to consult the doctors to avoid from overweight problem.
Last edited by Shalimar on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Link removed.
jayanthudar

Postby everyhomeremedy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:59 pm

It is surprising how easily it is to put on weight rapidly when you quit smoking. When I quit smoking years ago, I had also started an intensive body building program, so I had a double whammy when it came to weight gain. Luckily, as I was able to offset any negative gains due to the weight training and the physical job I had at the time.

Saying this, once I had a more sedentary job, I found that maintaining the type of food I ate, along with the quantity made me gain quite a few excess kilos. Shedding these was a matter of modifying the poor eating habits I had got into.

Anyway, to cut the story short, exercise is a good way to help take your mind of not smoking, as well as keep off any excess weight you may gain, but if you are not exercising, then you will have to watch your diet more closely.
everyhomeremedy

Return to Ask the Mob