It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:20 am

Free Newsletter

Metabolism- how to increase

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Metabolism- how to increase

Postby smitten kitten » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:44 pm

What's everyone's secrets to increasing their metabolism?

Obviously weight bearing exercise does, and small meals often, any more suggestions?
smitten kitten

Re: Metabolism- how to increase

Postby onthedecrease » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:47 pm

plenty of water, avoid sugary foods, I take a green tea supplement three times a day and its really helped me with my metabolism, as you mentioned eating little and often helps hugely and the biggest one is not starving yourself, when you starve your body your metablosim will slow down to compensate for the loss of nutrients. Hope this helps
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby Oliviasf » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:02 am

Good Q, I recenly investigated this and going to put into practice.
The above is correct, but I think particularly building more muscle as this burns more off druring rest just to maintain itself. It also gives you a great shape quicker. I think the greater the intensity too, i.e. do a slightly heavier weight and work the muscle with reps, short intervals but until it is completely fatigued. Then give it about 2 days to rest as this will help build it. Plus water and healthy protein and carbs.

A bit obviousm but getting enough sleep.
Concentrate on something more taxing (do sudocus!) burns calories since your brain uses glucose (This is my idea... so not sure if this is a proven fact)
Apparently running burns the most cals of the cardo groups of exercise, so combine with weight training.
Eat warmer foods (spicy) such as chillie, curry, mustard - these only incr your metabolism marginally and very temporarily so not a long term thing.

"Build your muscles. Do you Know: 1 pound of fat burns only 2 calories a day while 1 pound of muscle burns 50 calories a day !!! The more muscle you build, the faster your metabolism will be, and the more calories you will burn while at rest. When muscle mass decreases, the metabolic rate also drops.
Take apple cider vinegar+honey+garlic. It is good for increasing metabolism." http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/weightlos ... olism.html

Hope it helps :wink:
Oli
Goal is to lose another 2 kgs

Starting : 69.5 kg
Goal 65 kg - reached 5/11/09
Goal 64 kg - reached 15/01/10
Goal 62 kg - reached 30/04/10
Goal 61 kg - reached 01/06/2010
Goal 58 kg

Oliviasf

Postby ybuddha » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:45 am

Here's a few quick and dirty tips that might help - some of them are very minor but well worth thr try

1. Increase muscle mass as mentioned above - no need to go overboard just some tone
2. Spicy Food - Adding spices to meals has been found to raise metabolism up to 40% for two to three hours. Spices like curry and mustard or chili powder can compliment several meals and work to help the foods you eat to speed up metabolism.
3. Green Tea. Exchanging soft drinks and coffee for green tea is a great way to rev up metabolism and also get a good daily dose of antioxidants
4. Ice cold water. We all know that water is essential when trying to lose weight, but drinking two or more liters of very cold water each day increases metabolism while it flushes toxins from the body. When water is very cold, the body burns 100 calories to heat it to body temperature
5. Coffee works on metabolism through caffeine, but caffeine can also be an appetite stimulant and should be consumed in smaller amounts.

I hope these tips help!
Last edited by Shalimar on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed.
ybuddha

Postby miranda*jane » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:48 pm

Grape fruit and pineapple
. . . when the rich wage war . . . it's the poor who die . . .
miranda*jane

Postby Samantha Jean » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:56 pm

Is caffeine really an appetite stimulant? I would have thought it would be more of an appetite suppressant?
Samantha Jean

Postby Jisgone » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:35 pm

ybudda is a spammer :) they tend to make up advice just so they cant post their link!
Jisgone

Postby Samantha Jean » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:21 pm

oh, wow, ok, thanks.
Samantha Jean

Postby Oliviasf » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:02 am

Not sure how true this is, but I believe that caffiene is able to stay in your body for some time and helps the body to store the fat we eat.
First time I have heard this so wouldn't mind doing some research. Though I know that it can have a negative effect on the adreanal glands. Saying that, a few cups of tea won't have a huge impace.
Oli
Goal is to lose another 2 kgs

Starting : 69.5 kg
Goal 65 kg - reached 5/11/09
Goal 64 kg - reached 15/01/10
Goal 62 kg - reached 30/04/10
Goal 61 kg - reached 01/06/2010
Goal 58 kg

Oliviasf

Return to Ask the Mob