It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:19 pm

Free Newsletter

Which food can i bulk eat?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Which food can i bulk eat?

Postby weightspender » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:20 pm

Every food i have found turns out you gain weight; i thought rice was healthy but it turns out you can get type 2 diabetes and it is very fattening.

What is a food i can bulk eat and gain very minimal fat/weight?

Like water.. i can drink as much as i want and i won't any fat.

is there something like this for food?
what is a really healthy food? i need foods that is healthy by itself.. not recipes.

what do you guys eat every day?

Thanks! =]
weightspender

Re: Which food can i bulk eat?

Postby court » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:32 am

hey weightspender - sorry I just saw your post now. I think the prob is you shouldnt really be "bulk eating" any foods. It is about balance with diet! However, if you are looking to find healthy snacks that are low calorie and I eat without limits - fresh veges non starchy. So carrots, celery, capsicum, zuccini, mushrooms etc. I have them with salsa. However, ideally you should be eatinga variety of foods across all food groups
Good luck
court

Postby fi_112 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:49 pm

Lettuce? haha
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:32 am

court wrote:hey weightspender - sorry I just saw your post now. I think the prob is you shouldnt really be "bulk eating" any foods. It is about balance with diet! However, if you are looking to find healthy snacks that are low calorie and I eat without limits - fresh veges non starchy. So carrots, celery, capsicum, zuccini, mushrooms etc. I have them with salsa. However, ideally you should be eatinga variety of foods across all food groups
Good luck

Ditto that. Pretty much every food (that I can think of) has calories of some form - our bodies are very good at finding energy in anything we put in our mouths. Lettuce would probably be the lowest I guess... high water density... I think what you're talking about is trying to find a staple food (like in western culture it tends to be bread or potatoes, asian cultures tends to be rice) on which meals are based. Basically staple foods tend to be starchy carbs - which is why they're a problem, simple, starchy carbs (particuarly highly processed ones) get converted to fat very easily via your insulin collecting it all up as excess blood sugar (also why they tend to contribute to diabetes). BUT bear in mind that it's not the only factor - Asian cultures have been eating rice for centuries and tended towards lower rates of obesity which are only recently creeping up.

Rice CAN be ok (in moderation as per everything). Basmati rice in particular is a moderate GI grain so it's better than the others. Basically starchy carbs should be the smallest proportion on your plate. Aim for cereals/grains that are as wholemeal or wholegrain as possible (think as least processed as possible). The less processed, generally the lower GI and the more fibre which fills you up so you don't eat as much. Vegies are great to fill out your meal because even though they do still have calories, they're also very densely packed with fibre and "viterals and minimums" as hubby says and they tend towards the lower end of the GI scale (and therefore don't have the blood sugar spike that sends your insulin off to store it all). There are some exceptions (eg potato, corn, carrots tend to be slightly higher GI)
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby miranda*jane » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:28 pm

Celery burns more calories digesting it than it actually contains...make it into a yummy soup. and diet jelly :)
. . . when the rich wage war . . . it's the poor who die . . .
miranda*jane

Postby Happy Belle » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:20 pm

Ive also heard that broccoli and lettuce also burn more calories digesting than you could eat! I think they call it negative calories. Ive found that if i eat 5 small meals a day and make sure i have protein, and can go without feeling hungry. Its helped me lose 26kgs!
Happy Belle

Postby ybuddha » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:39 am

Eating anything in bulk is likely to lead to problems. But if you were to actualyl choose one thing stay away from carbs. The suggestions above about non-starcy fruits and vegetables are you best bet. Cucumbers, capsicums, lettuce, etc all offer nutrional benefits and are very low in calories. And with a bit of imagination you can make some great salads, vegetable soups, or vegetable stack.
Last edited by Shalimar on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed.
ybuddha

Return to Ask the Mob