It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:13 am

Free Newsletter

How many calories in a blood donation?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

How many calories in a blood donation?

Postby Runner » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:42 pm

I'm a regular blood donor, and i'm due to give blood next monday. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how much i need to eat back calorie wise? Do i even need too? and then whats better protein or carbs? I'm going to ask the nurse about it when i go but i'm also after your opinions.
Runner

Re: How many calories in a blood donation?

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:37 am

Too late now! But no, you don't need to eat anything calorie wise. You will need to drink something (because they're essentially taking out fluid and your body needs more water to re-make the blood) and possibly (depending on the time of your donation) have a small healthy snack beforehand to make sure your blood sugar is not too low. Calorie wise though I wouldn't worry
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Re: How many calories in a blood donation?

Postby Runner » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:59 pm

Your not too late, I had to move my appointment as I had a mild cold last week. I felt fine on monday but would never wat to risk someones elses health.
You should see me guzzle the water, I bring water bottle with me so I can drink while I do the interview! Those plastic cups they give you are so small, and not the best for the environment. Thanks heaps for you advice Butterfly dawn.
Runner

Return to Ask the Mob