It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:38 pm

Free Newsletter

Small losses and maintaining....

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Small losses and maintaining....

Postby Shalimar » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi all, bear with me as this may be hard to explain :lol: .

On the weeks that you have small losses do you get concerned that if you dont have much of a loss while eating 'weight loss calories' how on earth are you supposed to eat more on 'maintainance calories' and not gain weight. Make sence??

It is something that I have been worrying about of late and admit I cant get my head around it.

Any ideas or insight appreciated :) .

Thanks folks :D .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Re: Small losses and maintaining....

Postby Shalimar » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:31 pm

Ok clearly not :lol: , I always thought that at times I thought too much :lol: :wink: .

Shalimar

Postby fi_112 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:49 pm

The answer that I have is kind of hard to explain as well.
When you get close to your goal, the loss calories are similar to the maintenance calories, because they calculate it by working out how many calories a person of a certain weight needs. Forrr example if you are aiming for 60kg, the calories you are eating now are probably enough for a 60kg person, but as a 61kg person, this will lead to a very small energy deficit, so you should lose a very small amount. When you are 60kg, and you are trying to maintain it, you will be eating just enough calories for a 60kg person. Sooo I'm guessing ur cals will need to be the same?
I think you sort of have to work out your own routine that suits your body and you might gain a bit or lose a bit while ur testing it out.

Í don't think that makes any sense but I have never been one to count calories so prob not the best.

I am almost at maintenance stage too, I'm hoping we get there at the same time so u can be my buddy haha :) xx
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby Shalimar » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:34 pm

Hi Fi, what you said makes sence. I was under the impression that your calories need to go up to stop the losses but I guess if the losses have already stopped you are not going to be able to eat a whole lot more without a gain :x .
I guess it will just be a matter of keeping a very close eye on the scales and getting on top of things if they start heading in the wrong direction, of course that works the other way as well.

Hopefully we do hit maintainance around the same time as each other like you said and then we can be of support to each other :) .

Have a good one, Sue :) .

Shalimar

Postby Alexandra » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:54 am

Sue - you work so hard. You are in unchartered waters. You have lost so much weight and most of us here are still trying to lose gobs and gobs of weight. You aren't alone in the worry of the maintainence concerns - I think that's universal - I'm just not there yet!

I think the equation is however simple in concept just really hard in practice. But I know you know your body really really well and I think that is the key for you. You need to know what calories you are comfortable with consuming and expending each day and make them equal - you then won't go up or down *see, simple* :roll: If you think you will be happy with a 30 minute walk each day and general housework and wii fit 3 times a week (or whatever) just tailor your diet to this activity level (I know you know your body that well) and you'll be right *I'm positive* I quick peak of the scales fortnightly can correct any movements :wink:

Lastly - have confidence in yourself because you have come so far - you wouldn't have been able to do that without being able to listen to what your body needs! Best of luck and when I'm there - I hope you'll tell me how it's done :D :D :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby Shalimar » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:03 pm

Thanks Alexandra, I think you are right when you say it is a matter of finding a balance of cals and exercise and of course knowing when to listen to our bodies. It hasnt failed me yet so I hope its not about to start to now :lol: .

Of course Ill let you all know how its done......when I do it myself :lol: .

Thanks again and have a good one :) .

Shalimar

Return to Ask the Mob