It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:41 pm

Free Newsletter

Stuck on the weight plateau... Need HELP!!!

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Stuck on the weight plateau... Need HELP!!!

Postby Nikki.p » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:00 pm

hi there my name is nikki and this is my story.
Im 23, i weigh 85 kilograms and am 5 foot 2. About 2 years ago i decided that i'd had enough of my weight and wanted a change, first off i wanted to eat healthier so i made the decision to become a vegetarian which too this day i still am and loving the food. So from when i started this healthier lifestyle my weight was 105kg.
after months and months my weight hadn't changed much, so i started looking at diets and without too much knowledge on the weight loss process i decided to start a low calorie diet which basically had me eating at 1000 or less calories a day. i started that diet in november of 2008 and i weighed 100kg, i stopped the diet in May of this year as i had noticed weight loss had halted at 80kg.
Straight after that i decided it was time too add exercise, which was 3 days a week of cardio for 30mins. still nothing was changing so i started to eat around 1500 calories and added another cardio day. This went on for a couple of months and i felt really down so i went on a holiday for a week and a bit. The week i was gone i had around 1800-2000 calories a day and didnt exercise hoping that mayb changing up my routine would help, unfortunately it didnt, so i returned home and my routine now is 6 days a week is cardio for 30-45mins which includes bike, run, walk and or fitness dvd. 3 days a week i do low weight high rep weights i only drink water and fruit and veg are the main part of my meals with eggs and pasta etc.
in recent weeks i hav changed my exercise program to different times and shorter bursts to get my heart rate up but nothing is working, the only good thing that i hav noticed is that ive lost around 15cm around my waist and a little bit on my legs and arms.
i dont no what else to do, some days i fell really depressed as im trying so hard with little to no progress at all.
i hope ive givin a good description of myself and situation and if any1 has tips or ideas which will help me get past this im dying to hear them as it feels like i just cant do anyhting in this world to make myself happy anymore.

thank you
Nikki.p

Re: Stuck on the weight plateau... Need HELP!!!

Postby John » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:28 am

Hi Nikki and welcome! You've lost 15cm off your waist? That is amazing! Congratulations. Also, congratulations on losing 25kg. That's about what I want to lose to get to goal, so I am very envious. If you are losing waist measurements but not weight, it's obvious that you are gaining muscle somewhere. Given the exercise that you are doing, you've probably built up all the muscle you can by now (that's a guess, btw). Anyway, when I someone asks what to do when they are stuck on a plateau, I always suggest that they count the energy value of all the foods they eat, and also weigh daily. Do that for a week. You might find that your weight is fluctuating and you might be able to work out what foods are causing it. As for what to eat, I have no real suggestions but protein is a good appetite killer. Unfortunately it's expensive.

Good luck and keep in touch here!

John.
Heaviest weight: 94kg
Goal weight 66kg
John

Postby Nikki.p » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:46 pm

hi john thank u so much for the reply. i have never really kept an eye on my protein intake so thats something for me to do and also as of yesterday ive started to keep a diary of my calorie intake and the foods im eating so hopefully that gives me an idea of wats happening.
Also a week and abit ago i started a 11 day detox, one that was specifically designed to start up my metabolism and break the plateau. i weighed at 85.7 and after the last day of dtox i was 83.7 :D .
its only been a couple of days after the detox and im 83.5 so fingers crossed with the right diet and good exercise im hoping that the plateau is behind me. :)

NIKKI
Nikki.p

Postby Nikki.p » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:04 pm

Hi again, unfortunately inspit of all my efforts i am still puting on weight. a week after i finished the detox i weighed in at 82.8 and was so excited, i was confident that the weight loss had started up again. however ive noticed that once i lose a few kilos, within in 2-3 days it goes back up again, which now has me weighing in at 84kg :cry: , 4 days after dropping into the 82's. im in desperate need of a solution as i think ive tried most things to no avail. is a visit to the doctors going to help or are there other options i should seek first. since i started to notice the weight gain ive been so angry and depressed :cry: im starting to feel again like theres no chance for me so if any1 has advice would b much appreciated.

NIKKI
Nikki.p

Postby John » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:14 am

Hello again Nikki! You say that if you weigh yourself, then 2-3 days later, your weight increases by a kilogram or two. Given that it is very unlikely that you've put on that much fat, I'd say that there are two possibilities. First, scale error. Your scales can have a mind of their own, they can go up or down at random and it can be really confusing. My solution to this is to weigh daily, and when the scales jump by 1kg (in either direction), I pretty much ignore it. Suppose you weigh in at 85.0 kg and then the next day you are at 84.0 kg. That's highly unlikely that you're at that weight, so I just give a maximum of 200g per day change (in either direction). So you'd write down 84.8kg. This cuts out most scale error.

Second, it could be water retention. If you eat lots of dry or salty foods, then your body will retain more water than usual, and your weight will show the difference.

Apart from that, I still recommend the whole counting kilojoules and weighing everyday. Sure, it's a pain but it's worth it, just while you're on a plateau. When losing weight I still weigh daily, and it's part of my motivational system. I need to know within 2-3 days when I'm not losing, and weighing daily tells me.

Good luck and keep in touch here.
Heaviest weight: 94kg
Goal weight 66kg
John

Return to Ask the Mob