It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:55 pm

Free Newsletter

Will doing all this help me lose weight?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Will doing all this help me lose weight?

Postby TacticalUnit » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:49 am

I'm approximately 170cm tall and 96kg and I'm a 16 year old female. Most of my weight is in my stomach, butt and thighs.

I decided to go to the gym in the morning before school for an hour (&half?) doing 15/20/30 minutes at level 20 on the X-Trainer, before moving onto leg and arm weights to build up muscle (I hope to lose some weight from that as I plan to be a police officer later in life)

The weights could take about 30 minutes. Im gonna try to push to do 3 sets of 10 reps for each weight. After that I would go on the bike for 15/20/30 minutes.

People would probably tell me to go on the Treadclimber or Treadmill; I would, but the back of ankles hurt like hell and after a couple minutes it's just WAY to uncomfortable to keep going. (This only happens when I walk on machines, walking normally I feel no pain)

For meals and etc. I am trying to get my mum to give me smaller portions for dinner. Dinner is something like meat + vegies/salad or maybe with some potatoes and salad/vegies. Lunch (on the weekends/school holidays) is something like noodles and I'm never awake to eat breakfast.

On school days I will try to have some cereal or toast after the gym and at school I will have 2 sandwitches (like ham and salad, or chicken and salad - which I've had since I started school so thats no problem). After school I usually have some more noodles. And dinner doesn't really change that much.

Whenever I'm thirsty or bored (i tend to eat when I'm bored, I've noticed that) I have a filled bottle of water (in a powerade bottle) to drink. I recently started this in January this year. Sometimes I am refilling the bottle 5 times a day, but it depends. I have cut softdrink out (i've never really had softdrink that much anyway) and I'm trying hard to cut out junk food but the temptation is always there when my parents come home with junk (when they know I'm trying to lose weight but they arent very supportive)

So, how do you think I would go with what I'm planning to do? How long would it approximately take to get to about 70kg?(year 12 grad this year so I would love to be able to wear a really nice, small dress)
TacticalUnit

Re: Will doing all this help me lose weight?

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:57 am

Does your gym have personal trainers? A lot of gyms will tailor an exercise plan to your needs, so it might be worth asking about it. Your plan sounds good, but it can help to have a day off between muscle building workouts to allow your muslces to heal and build.

Your breakfast and dinners sound good, provided the portion size for dinner isn't too large. I wonder if two sandwiches are necessary for lunch, though. What if you tried one sandwich and two pieces of fruit instead? What sort of bread are you using? Multigrain bread is lower in GI than white bread and will keep you feeling fuller for longer. I assume the noodles you are having are two minute noodles. One packet is 300 calories. If you can factor that into your daily calorie intake then it's fine, and it's not too extreme for a main meal. If you're adding it to a large lunch and dinner it might not be helping your weight loss. A salad sandwich would be half of that, and if you use low GI multigrain bread it would keep you feeling fuller for longer. If the two minute noodles aren't adding too many calories to your diet, and if you really like them and don't want to switch to anything else, you might want to make them more healthy by adding lots of fresh vegetables to them.

You may want to add up the calories you eat on an average day to see if you're making choices that will help or hinder your weight loss. A lot of people here use Calorie King (www.calorieking.com.au) to keep track of their calories. I think the accounts there are still free. When you sign up you can fill in a personal profile which will tell you how many calories you should be aiming for per day. They have a food database full of commonly available foods in Australian supermarkets. You can even enter your exercise to subtract the calories you've burned.

It's great that you've cut out soft drink and you're drinking so much water. That's a huge achievement! Good on you!

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby TacticalUnit » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:12 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:Does your gym have personal trainers? A lot of gyms will tailor an exercise plan to your needs, so it might be worth asking about it. Your plan sounds good, but it can help to have a day off between muscle building workouts to allow your muslces to heal and build.!

Yes, my gym does have personal trainers. I sorta went to see one when I first started and they had a sheet which had like:
Bike Date:
Distance:
Speed:
Calories:
Time:

That we would fill out whenever we did that exericse. A guy just did up the bike, x-trainer, treadmill, rower (i keep forgetting to do this), and certain weights. Not really in depth about which I should do when and how much of it (cause it was a free 30 min chat). he basically said to keep my Heart rate 140+ and to do 30 - 50 minutes exercise per day.
And since you said that I should give my muscles a break to heal and such, I just started thinking on some days instead of doing weights I could do the rower?

EvilWombatQueen wrote:Your breakfast and dinners sound good, provided the portion size for dinner isn't too large.

The only thing large about it is the mountain of vegies or salad my mum piles on. I might have to stand next to her when she's putting my dinner on a plate :wink:

EvilWombatQueen wrote:I wonder if two sandwiches are necessary for lunch, though. What if you tried one sandwich and two pieces of fruit instead? What sort of bread are you using? Multigrain bread is lower in GI than white bread and will keep you feeling fuller for longer.

Ahh yes, i was afraid someone would comment on the sandwiches. But I do tend to get hungry at school but since I've started eating breakfast I might be able to cut that back to one sandwitch. And Yes, my mum now buys multigrain bread.

EvilWombatQueen wrote:I assume the noodles you are having are two minute noodles. One packet is 300 calories. If you can factor that into your daily calorie intake then it's fine, and it's not too extreme for a main meal. If you're adding it to a large lunch and dinner it might not be helping your weight loss..

Yeah, they're like the Thai hot and spicy noodles or something (much like two minute noodles). And no, I just eat the noodles themselves, I don't add them to anything. Sometimes when we have chicken at home I would cut up some small bits and put them into my noodles to make them a bit more filling. I hope that's not too bad :?

EvilWombatQueen wrote:A salad sandwich would be half of that, and if you use low GI multigrain bread it would keep you feeling fuller for longer. If the two minute noodles aren't adding too many calories to your diet, and if you really like them and don't want to switch to anything else, you might want to make them more healthy by adding lots of fresh vegetables to them..

Well, since I have sandwiches at school, the last thing I want to eat when I get home is more sandwiches :P. I could try it though, but I do like having the noodles. When we get some more I'll be sure to see how many calories the one's I eat have (most likely around the same as the others). The vegies isn't a bad idea either.

EvilWombatQueen wrote:You may want to add up the calories you eat on an average day to see if you're making choices that will help or hinder your weight loss. A lot of people here use Calorie King (www.calorieking.com.au) to keep track of their calories. I think the accounts there are still free. When you sign up you can fill in a personal profile which will tell you how many calories you should be aiming for per day. They have a food database full of commonly available foods in Australian supermarkets. You can even enter your exercise to subtract the calories you've burned.
It's great that you've cut out soft drink and you're drinking so much water. That's a huge achievement! Good on you!
Good luck!

Interesting! I will definitely check out that website! Thank you very much for your fast reply! I will absolutely look more into what you have said and will try to make some improvements. :D

If anyone else has anything to add it would be greatly appreciated!
TacticalUnit

Postby TacticalUnit » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:16 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:Does your gym have personal trainers? A lot of gyms will tailor an exercise plan to your needs, so it might be worth asking about it. Your plan sounds good, but it can help to have a day off between muscle building workouts to allow your muslces to heal and build.!

Yes, my gym does have personal trainers. I sorta went to see one when I first started and they had a sheet which had like:
Bike Date:
Distance:
Speed:
Calories:
Time:

That we would fill out whenever we did that exericse. A guy just did up the bike, x-trainer, treadmill, rower (i keep forgetting to do this), and certain weights. Not really in depth about which I should do when and how much of it (cause it was a free 30 min chat). he basically said to keep my Heart rate 140+ and to do 30 - 50 minutes exercise per day.
And since you said that I should give my muscles a break to heal and such, I just started thinking on some days instead of doing weights I could do the rower?

EvilWombatQueen wrote:Your breakfast and dinners sound good, provided the portion size for dinner isn't too large.

The only thing large about it is the mountain of vegies or salad my mum piles on. I might have to stand next to her when she's putting my dinner on a plate :wink:

EvilWombatQueen wrote:I wonder if two sandwiches are necessary for lunch, though. What if you tried one sandwich and two pieces of fruit instead? What sort of bread are you using? Multigrain bread is lower in GI than white bread and will keep you feeling fuller for longer.

Ahh yes, i was afraid someone would comment on the sandwiches. But I do tend to get hungry at school but since I've started eating breakfast I might be able to cut that back to one sandwitch. And Yes, my mum now buys multigrain bread. And with the fruit, I have been trying for ages to get my mum to get some bananas, pears and apples (or one of), but she always says "they're too expensive". I do like fruit, a lot, but It doesn't help when my sister uses the bananas in a milkshake every two hours! (no fruit last more than 24 hours from when it was bought - so having a consistent supply for school will be a challenge) Argh. :evil:

EvilWombatQueen wrote:I assume the noodles you are having are two minute noodles. One packet is 300 calories. If you can factor that into your daily calorie intake then it's fine, and it's not too extreme for a main meal. If you're adding it to a large lunch and dinner it might not be helping your weight loss..

Yeah, they're like the Thai hot and spicy noodles or something (much like two minute noodles). And no, I just eat the noodles themselves, I don't add them to anything. Sometimes when we have chicken at home I would cut up some small bits and put them into my noodles to make them a bit more filling. I hope that's not too bad :?

EvilWombatQueen wrote:A salad sandwich would be half of that, and if you use low GI multigrain bread it would keep you feeling fuller for longer. If the two minute noodles aren't adding too many calories to your diet, and if you really like them and don't want to switch to anything else, you might want to make them more healthy by adding lots of fresh vegetables to them..

Well, since I have sandwiches at school, the last thing I want to eat when I get home is more sandwiches :P. I could try it though, but I do like having the noodles. When we get some more I'll be sure to see how many calories the one's I eat have (most likely around the same as the others). The vegies isn't a bad idea either.

EvilWombatQueen wrote:You may want to add up the calories you eat on an average day to see if you're making choices that will help or hinder your weight loss. A lot of people here use Calorie King (www.calorieking.com.au) to keep track of their calories. I think the accounts there are still free. When you sign up you can fill in a personal profile which will tell you how many calories you should be aiming for per day. They have a food database full of commonly available foods in Australian supermarkets. You can even enter your exercise to subtract the calories you've burned.
Good luck!

Interesting! I will definitely check out that website! Thank you very much for your fast reply! I will absolutely look more into what you have said and will try to make some improvements. :D

If anyone else has anything to add it would be greatly appreciated!
TacticalUnit

Postby george georgiou » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:03 pm

No it wont, I went to gym for 2 years and though i got fitter i did not loose weight. I was doing 4 days a week with 30 mins of aerobobics and 30 mins weights. IT is GOOD to go to get fit but if you want to loose weight then cut out all the bread, cheese and sugars.
If you want a good diet that will first detox your body and get you losing weight then go to [link removed] and if you want to give a testimonial then you get it for free.

Thanks
George
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link removed.
george georgiou

Return to Ask the Mob