It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:46 am

Free Newsletter

Can one eat too much fruits?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Can one eat too much fruits?

Postby Sassyt » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Dear All
I hope I can get to know what others think about this. For my lunch I just recently been making fruits and cutting them into small pieces and ad some fat free strawbery flavoured yogart. I can safely say thats more or less home-made fruit salad. In my salad I would have
Half an apple;
Half a pear;
Half a pinaple
and Half a Banana
my concern is by the time I finish cutting my pieces the bowl would almost full. Am I eating too much fruits? I am fullfiled with this meal/salad but Im worried I might be sabotaging my diet if its too much.

Id really like your views on this
Happy weight - 78kg
Ultimate goal weight- 70kg
Sassyt

Re: Can one eat too much fruits?

Postby nothing2lose » Sat May 29, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi Sassyt

I guess it depends on what type of way of eating you are trying to follow. I am following the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Plan which is moderate carb, low fat, high protein so this would be wayyyyyy too much fruit for me! Fruit is high in carbs (sugar).
But, as I said, it depends on the rest of your food plan.

Hope this helps!

N2L
LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A THIN PERSON....AND EVENTUALLY YOUR BODY WILL MATCH YOUR LIFESTYLE!

HW - September 2008 - 121.3kg :( :(
SW - 16 May 2010 - 110.4 kg :(
New SW - 6 January 2011 - 108 kg :(
First GW 99kg :) My aim is to reach this goal by April 15, 2011
nothing2lose

Postby FatFukShrinking » Sun May 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi ya, i think fruit is like everything else. You can have too much of a good thing. Also different fruits have higher and lower GI.

Have a look at this website : http://www.glycemicindex.com/
Punch in the fruit you like to eat and see what GI it rates. On the days where you eat more fruit, you may want to stick to the fruit which has a lower GI.

I like bananas and i know the riper they get, the higher the GI. I try to only eat 2 pieces of fruit a day, having said that... i like my fresh fruit and vegetable juices so i could easily have 3 pieces of fruit in one glass. I try to add more vegetables than fruit though. Like yesterday i had beetroot, carrot, kiwi fruit, orange, apple, celery and cucumber in my juice. I do it as a way to up my vegetable intake.

Having fruit is always going to be better than having junk food, just be mindful of it. If your weight loss starts to slow down, then think about cutting back on your fruit intake.

Just my opinions, might be wrong lol.

:D

SW: 121.3kg - 20/04/2010
First Goal: 109 kilos (Losing 10% of my body weight)
Second Goal: 99 kilos (Getting out of triple digits)
Third goal: 85 kilos (Getting back to a weight where i felt more like ME)
Ultimate long term goal: 60 kilos (Losing half of my start weight)
FatFukShrinking

Postby Shay » Mon May 31, 2010 3:45 pm

Sassyt wrote:Dear All
I hope I can get to know what others think about this. For my lunch I just recently been making fruits and cutting them into small pieces and ad some fat free strawbery flavoured yogart. I can safely say thats more or less home-made fruit salad. In my salad I would have
Half an apple;
Half a pear;
Half a pinaple
and Half a Banana
my concern is by the time I finish cutting my pieces the bowl would almost full. Am I eating too much fruits? I am fullfiled with this meal/salad but Im worried I might be sabotaging my diet if its too much.

Id really like your views on this

Hi Sassy,

As someone who works in nutrition and physical activity, I can tell you what you're eating is perfect. I dont know how big the pineapple is, but each of the others is equivalent to half a serve, and you should aim for 2 serves of fruit a day. Many nutritionists will also tell you that they'd rather you have an extra serving of fruit than have a serving of something naughty instead.

So dont worry about the amount of fruit you're eating :)
Had my baby girl Leah on 13/12/10!

Weight at 40 weeks: 81.5kg
SW 4 days post-baby: 74.4kg
CW: 67kg

1st mini goal: 72kg - DONE!
2nd mini goal: 70kg - DONE!
3rd mini goal: 67kg - DONE!

4th mini goal: 64kg
Shay

Postby stevo1 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:52 am

YES!

That is way too much fruit!

Even though fruit is healthy, has fibre, is full of vitamins and minerals, etc, etc.

Here's why you should not have more than 2 pieces of fruit a day and that's not in the same meal:

1. Fructose (fruit sugar) converts into body fat easier than glucose

2. Even though fructose is low GI, it is also the amount you have that counts and that is too much. 1 piece of fruit per meals is more than enough.

3. The meal lacks protein, which has appetite-suppressing effects, muscle-preserving effects, etc.

To find out more reasons why eat too much fruit is bad, check out: [link removed]
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Advertising links are not allowed in signatures.
stevo1

Postby Shay » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:57 pm

^ again, this idea of 'low carbs' is not supported by proper nutritionists. Carbs are meant to make up almost half of your daily dietary requirements. This low carb diet is generated by those who are not adequately educated and trained in nutrition.
Had my baby girl Leah on 13/12/10!

Weight at 40 weeks: 81.5kg
SW 4 days post-baby: 74.4kg
CW: 67kg

1st mini goal: 72kg - DONE!
2nd mini goal: 70kg - DONE!
3rd mini goal: 67kg - DONE!

4th mini goal: 64kg
Shay

Postby stevo1 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:09 pm

Hi Sassy,

Here's more detailed info about why having too much fruit (and carbs) can put the brakes on your fat-burning ability:

Most fruits contain high amounts of fructose. Fructose is a 5-carbon sugar compared to glucose which is a 6-carbon sugar. Even though it is low-GI, it is important not to have more than 2 pieces of fruit a day.

The reason for this recommendation is because fructose is easily convereted into fat by the liver because it skips one of the regulatory steps in carbohydrate metabolism.

When carbs are consumed it may be used for energy or stored in the body. The body has the ability to store carbohydrates as glycogen in the muscles and the liver. However, once these storage sites are full, if any more carbohydrate is consumed it is converted into fat. The enzyme responsibile for storing carbohydrate as glycogen is phosofructokinase (PFK) and fructose does not get influenced by this enzyme. As a result, it becomes easier to convert fructose into fat if excess amounts are consumed, especially all in one meal.

Overall, people who want to lose weight should have slightly less carbohydrates in their diet (around 30-40%) compared to standard recommendations, which suggests people have at least 50% of their overall calorie intake in the form of carbs.

By simply doing a little bit of research, especially if you do a Google search for: 'USDA Food Pyramid History', you will realise the impact large food organizations have in influencing government, academic and general nutritional recommendations. That is why a high carb diet has been recommended for years. Not because it is the best for health and/ or weight loss but because it helps support the economy!

Overall, once you understand how the body resonds to carbohydrate consumption, with insulin production, etc. it becomes clear that a high carb consumption is definitely not the best way to lose fat. Also, simply consider the diets of competitive bodybuilders, people who achieve 2-5% body fat levels. Sure they have carbs, but they tend to have far more protein in their diet.

In saying all of this, it certainly doesn't mean you need to follow a low-carb diet to get results and in fact it is not recommended because they are too hard to stick to long term and may result in nutritional deficiencies. However, it is important to be aware of your source of carbohydrates if you are serious about getting the best possible results from your weight-loss efforts. This means having more low-density carbs (fibrous vegetables), a moderate amount of medium-denisty carbs (fruit, starchy vegetables and dairy products) and a small amount of high-density carbs (bread, pasta, rice, cereals, etc.).

I hope this helps to make the area of fruit consumption and carb consumption much clearer.

Regards,

Steve.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevo1

Postby court » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:02 pm

sure does Steve! Thank you for the info :D
Im interested in reading more on
By simply doing a little bit of research, especially if you do a Google search for: 'USDA Food Pyramid History', you will realise the impact large food organizations have in influencing government, academic and general nutritional recommendations. That is why a high carb diet has been recommended for years. Not because it is the best for health and/ or weight loss but because it helps support the economy!
court

Postby Sassyt » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Interesting!!! but I sure do feel much better if I munch on an apple than a rack of ribs with fried chips :lol: I guess at the end not much damage is done bcos I dont really have that much fruit everyday! its once in a while, when I dont want to bother thinking whats for lunch that I have a fruit salad!

Thanks though guys :)
Happy weight - 78kg
Ultimate goal weight- 70kg
Sassyt

Postby stevo1 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:18 am

LOL!

You're right. Every so often is fine, just not every day if you want to get the best possible results.

Don't forget to allow yourself a 'Treat Day' too! Of course, I usually only allow myself 2 meals on the Treat Day. To me it simply doesn't make sense to eat rubbish all day. Let's face it, you can't expect to be able to set your alarm for 5am and have a 'feeding frenzy' all day until midnight and not expect to put on weight!

Occasionally, I'll have the two meals split on separate days if I have stuff on and I find it doesn't hurt to do this either.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevo1

Postby court » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:28 am

See I dont believe in calling a day a "treat day" because something is bound to come up mid week on another day!!! I know i have dinner with friends on a Thursday and Friday night is generally dinner out - i just try to make smarter options on these days :D
court

Postby Kye20 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:51 pm

Is all depend on yourself, if you monitor your weight with no issues and your body digests this amount of fruit with ease, by all means stick to what you enjoy :D
Last edited by court on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: advert link removed
Kye20

Postby george georgiou » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:48 pm

Yes one can, especially at the start of the diet. It is because fruit contains sugar and sugar=fat.
If you want a good diet that will first detox your body and get you losing weight then go to [link removed] and if you want to give a testimonial then you get it for free.

Thanks
George
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link removed.
george georgiou

Return to Ask the Mob