It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:46 pm

Free Newsletter

Can one eat too much fruits?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Can one eat too much fruits?

Postby Sassyt » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Dear All
I hope I can get to know what others think about this. For my lunch I just recently been making fruits and cutting them into small pieces and ad some fat free strawbery flavoured yogart. I can safely say thats more or less home-made fruit salad. In my salad I would have
Half an apple;
Half a pear;
Half a pinaple
and Half a Banana
my concern is by the time I finish cutting my pieces the bowl would almost full. Am I eating too much fruits? I am fullfiled with this meal/salad but Im worried I might be sabotaging my diet if its too much.

Id really like your views on this
Happy weight - 78kg
Ultimate goal weight- 70kg
Sassyt

Re: Can one eat too much fruits?

Postby HappyGirl83 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:12 am

Half a pineapple seems a lot! Are you working out your calories? I would weigh each piece next time and find out how many calories. With all the sugar you might find it to be quite high. You need to have balanced meals with fat, protein and the carbs so just having fruit really isn't the best option.
My journey so far...

Sick and tired of wasting my 20's being fat!!
HappyGirl83

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:07 pm

It depends. HappyGirl's right that there can be a lot of calories in fruit because of the natural sugars. However, if you're having fruit in lieu of a bowl of pasta or a couple of sandwiches it might still end up being a lower calorie alternative.

As to whether the fruit will damage your weight loss, it really depends on what 'system' you're using to lose weight. Back when I was on Weight Watchers NoCount I could eat all the fruit and veg I wanted between meals, I lost weight doing it, but granted I wasn't eating as much fruit as you are. Other, more traditional, weight loss methods recommend all the vegetables you want but no more than two pieces of fruit per day (vegetables are a lot lower in calories than fruit because they don't contain as much fructose). Low carb diets cut it down even more than that. As to which way is best, I'd simply recommend chosing one that a) helps you lose weight and b) you can happily stick to long term.

Personally I think a huge bowl of fruit salad and yoghurt sounds like a very healthy lunch. There is fibre and carbs in the fruit and protein in the yoghurt. In my opinion you just need to be careful not to overeat, though. If you eat until you're bursting you might want to try a smaller bowl!

In the end there's only one way to tell if it's sabotaging your weight loss and that's to 'suck it and see'! If you still lose weight at a healthy pace while eating a huge bowl of fruit salad and yoghurt every lunch then I don't see any reason to change. If you plateau or start gaining weight it might be worth trying something else for a week or two to see if that's the problem.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Sassyt » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:21 pm

Oh thank you guys.

I am sure I have lost some weight this week even though I haven't weighed by Im almost certain that I have lost.
It cant be merely about that salad I had for lunch though since I only have it once/twice a week. I needed to know if its good or bad since I was considering having it weekly, so I needed to know if its ok or not. I will certainly reduce the portion, it makes me feel better that even the last one ended up being shared btwn me and a friend lol.

Thanks
Happy weight - 78kg
Ultimate goal weight- 70kg
Sassyt

Return to Ask the Mob