It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:30 am

Free Newsletter

Newbie Calorie Question

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie Calorie Question

Postby Mowen » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Hey there, I am a 26 year old male, standing 183cm and weighing in at a massive 130kgs. I have started trying to create an all round good living plan and this includes a good eating plan. I have started to make a menu and do the calorie counting thing, though I am a beginner and not sure if I'm going about it the right way.

I used this formula that I found on the biggest loser website: (66+(13.7*130)+(5*183)-(6.8*26))-1.55 to arrive at a total of 2584 calories I need to eat each day to maintain weight (I think!).

This is the menu I have set up:

Breakfast -
3 Weet Bix 167
250ml Milk 158
Apple 100

Snack -
Muesli Bar 126

Lunch -
Roll 227
Deli Meat 60
Salad 50
Cheese 50
Pear 100

Snack -
Yoghurt 186

Dinner -
Salad/Veg 200
Meat 400

Snack -
Banana 172

Trying to drink nothing but water, this comes to 1824 calories which if I under stand things correctly should lost me about 600 - 700 grams a week.

Along with 30 mins of walking my dog, 30 mins on an treadmill a day and a weight session 3 times a week.

What I need to know, is my calorie counting and food estimations on track, or have I got the numbers wrong?

Re: Newbie Calorie Question

Postby Czarina » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:55 pm

Try, it will sort your calorie intake out for you, and even a menu plan if you want!

Postby Weight loss for life » Sat May 01, 2010 1:55 am

It is difficult to tell if your numbers are right as your base metabolic rate (how many calories your body burns just by being alive) is not only based on your height and weight, but also your lean muscle mass which needs.

If you are looking to reduce your weight, you need to make sure that you are retaining lean muscle mass and dropping your fat % only as otherwise weight loss may not be as sustainable long term. I would recommend increasing your protein intake - that was the main thing that got me off my weight loss plateau and helped me lose 12 kgs last year and keep it off. Combining strength training with increased lean protein will aid your body in repairing and building your lean muscle mass which in turn, will also increase your metabolism and help you lose weight faster.

Protein/meal replacement shakes are a great source of lean protein and many ones taste great - I owe my weight loss to that kind of program and the free weight loss coaching I received. Fish and eggs are also great (grilled/poached, and not fried). Drinking water and increasing your fibre intake will also make all the difference.

If you have any qs please feel free to contact me drectly on [email protected] - I have tried so many different diets and exercise/eating plans and have finally found something that works so would be happy to help you out.

Take care and good luck!
Weight loss for life

Postby alizezz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:59 pm

Czarina nice site! Thanks!

Postby Lionsroar » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Holy crap I never knew Weetbix were that .. big? I eat like5 and I always thought it wasnt a big deal haha. I guess I gota cut down.

Btw about those protein shakes.. arnt they calorie heavy usually?

Postby maxrivera » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:48 pm

If you have an iphone there is a new app called my fitness pal that is very good for working out your calories for you, it also has a food diary that adds up all your calories and tells you how many you have for the day, then you can also log your activity and it will take into account the burnt calories.

Good luck!
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed advertising link. Please refer to forum rules.

Postby stevo1 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:45 am

Hi Mowen,

Firstly, congratulations on taking the first step towards a new and healthier you!

Here's a couple of suggestions for you and some reasons why I don't think you should follow the diet as outlined:

** Don't become too focused on calories. In all honesty I think that amount of calories is too much for anyone who isn't a bodybuilder! If you are seriously overweight (130kgs at 6'1), then it is highly likely that there is some metabolic stuff going on that is going to affect your weight-loss efforts. I suggest not having more than 2,000 cals per day (approximately).

** Too many carbs. The foods you are having are way too high in high GI carbs. Make sure you have protein with every meal and don't have more than about 30-40 grams of carbs with every meals to reduce the insulin response.

** Don't worry too much about calorie intake because your body adjusts it based on your food intake anyway!

** Do some exercise to boost your calorie expenditure and metabolic rate.

For more info, check out:
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising links are not allowed in signatures.

Postby george georgiou » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:44 pm

I am 6'3'' and was 113kg now down to 90 and I feel for you because I was there. Forget about counting carbs its a waste of energy and from your menu list you will always be hungry and feel miserable. If you want a good diet that will first detox your body and get you losing weight then go to [link removed] and if you want to give a testimonial then you get it for free.

Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link removed.
george georgiou

Return to Ask the Mob