It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:33 pm

Free Newsletter

Just starting...

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Just starting...

Postby jackinabox » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:41 pm

Hi everyone
I've just joined this forum in search of some help.

I made an introduction post, but again I'll quickly give a run down on who I am.

I'm 21 female 140kg and 169cm

I haven't been to the doctors to discuss my weight problems. However, I did have a blood test about 3 months ago to check for diabetes and everything else. It all came back good.

I remember a friend of mine a few years ago went to a clinic where they give you a blood test and a diet plan based on that.
It was $800 at the time, but she lost about 40kg on it. I don't remember the name of it. Does anyone know?

My goal is to get to at least under 100kg for now, but in the long future I'd love to be about 60 - 70kg (yes I know it will take me a good few years to achieve this, but I need to)

My questions are

1) How do I start? Do I visit my doctor? Read a bunch of books about diets? I have no knowledge on calorie counting, dieting, exercise routines etc

2) Any suggestions for a good diet/clinic for a BIGGGG girl?

Thanks heaps
jackinabox

Re: Just starting...

Postby mevsthebulge » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi there!

Well done, firstly, on taking the first step toward changing your life! :-)

Before starting any fitness or health regime, do talk to your Doctor to ensure you are in the clear to start exercise and eating well.

In my experience, diets are troublesome, restrictive, expensive and unenjoyable. I believe the diet you refer to is SureSlim. I've tried it and hated it. It's restrictive, you have to weigh everything and it's overall miserable. I've tried just about every diet known to mankind with varying success / failure! What I found worked was simply eating healthy. I watch what I eat, I make a conscious effort to make the right food choices and I ensure I stick within my calorie limits.

Two good sites to get you started: http://www.calorieking.com.au and http://www.acaloriecalculator.com/

This will help you start to understand what is required food-wise to start losing weight.

Now next, you need to MOVE! Are you doing any exercise currently? If so, what? Best to take it slowly at first, I find working with a trainer is best as they are able to devise a plan that suits your needs and level.

Lastly, you need to really ensure you are ready mentally for what lies ahead. Losing weight is not easy so you need to be prepared. It can also be long and time consuming so you need to be committed. No matter how hard it is though you need to remember why you are doing this. Make a list of reasons and keep them near you so you can refer to them when you feel challenged or unmotivated.

Please check out my blog for my own weight loss experience and feel free to talk to me if you need support because you'll people around you that can be there for you that understand what you are going through! :-D
mevsthebulge

Re: Just starting...

Postby Louise(: » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:22 am

Hay how u going with it so far?

I would advise involving either a doctor or a peronsal trainer or nutitionist as figuring out all the types of foods and exercise that would be best for u individually is quite complicated and is much easier with professional advice.

Keep yourself motivated by regularly visiting sites like this one that are helpful to you and by talking about the exciting aspects of your weight loss journey and your achievements to people that youre comfortable discussing it with. one of the biggest demotivators is loss of focus. U get into bit of routine, u stope thinking about why youre doing it n before you know it your slippin back. Definately Write that list and even make a collection of quotes or photos and stuff like that to remind you of your reasons and your goals.

Also my bigest tip to anybody trying to shed the kilos is to do it gradually. Dont aim to lose as much weight as you can as quick as you can, instead try first aiming to break bad habits, learn more about your personal needs and your health in general and then make bigger steps from there. Dont get on a treadmill n run full bolt the first time cos u will burn out quicker, it will seem extremely difficult as your fitness levels are presumable rather low and you will burn more fat by staying at a maximum walking pace you can handle until your fitness increases.

Same with food dont rush into cutting everything out, make it a pogression of getting healthier.

Losing weight shouldnt be easy and if it then its not right. Small, permanent changes to develop healthy habits are so effective while impulsive, drastic changes are unlikely to be kept up with as the desire to continue them will fade as soon as te impulse wears off.

Well dunno if this was much help as its been a month or more since you asked but yer hope it was
(:
Louise(:

Return to Ask the Mob