It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:47 am

Free Newsletter

LOW GI - Do you still need to count calories/carbs, etc?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

LOW GI - Do you still need to count calories/carbs, etc?

Postby nothing2lose » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:42 am

Hi all. I have decided to follow a Low GI eating plan pretty much to the letter. I have several books on this way of eating but I am still a little confused. Should I also be concerned with my nutritional/energy intake? (ie. calories, carbs, protein, fat levels??)
Apart from the past week which was not so great eating wise :oops: , I have been trying to follow the following guidelines -

Cals - 1650 (as recommended by calorieking based on my weight/height/lifestyle)
Fat - 40 gms
Carbs - 130 gms

Do I stick with these goals but just eat Low GI foods in order to reach them????

n2l
LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A THIN PERSON....AND EVENTUALLY YOUR BODY WILL MATCH YOUR LIFESTYLE!

HW - September 2008 - 121.3kg :( :(
SW - 16 May 2010 - 110.4 kg :(
New SW - 6 January 2011 - 108 kg :(
First GW 99kg :) My aim is to reach this goal by April 15, 2011
nothing2lose

Re: LOW GI - Do you still need to count calories/carbs, etc?

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:27 pm

Yes, if you follow the Calorie King recommendations but substitute low GI carbs for high GI carbs you should have successful weight loss. Low GI keeps you feeling fuller for longer so it should, in theory, make it easier to stick to Calorie King's recommended calorie quota.

Low GI can be a bit confusing, especially if you follow it through a low GI cookbook. The primary message of the cookbooks is to make sure your overall meals are Low GI. That can mean you have a few high GI components, such as potatoes, but you would need to lower the overall GI by including lots of protein, low-carb veggies or fat. It's useful to remember that low GI isn't primarily about losing weight, it's about controlling blood sugar, so many recipes you come across will not be weight loss friendly. Just because something is low GI doesn't mean it's low calorie or low fat. Fat lowers the GI of a meal compared to carbs alone because fat + carbs take longer to digest, so potato chips are lower GI than potatoes! I have a low GI cookbook that has quite a few non-diet-friendly recipes. So following low GI alone may not be enough to lose weight unless you are vigilant about what recipes you use.

The best way to lose weight might be to combine counting calories with low GI. Keep an eye on the fat in each meal. Make sure you're getting enough protein. Try this until you're comfortable enough to instinctively know what's a low-calorie low-fat low GI meal.

If you're too lazy or busy to count calories every day (like me!) it might be enough to have low GI meals, just make sure there's not too much fat in them and try to have protein with each meal (it lowers the GI of the meal, keeps you fuller for longer and helps repair and regrow muscles while losing weight).

I hope this answers your question. I'm probably not the best one to ask about losing weight on low GI as I'm really just maintaining at the moment!

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Re: LOW GI - Do you still need to count calories/carbs, etc?

Postby mevsthebulge » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:53 pm

I agree with all of the above! I also follow low GI eating as I have a tendency towards insulin resistance (which is now under control! Woo hoo!).

I find this site useful though for calculating recommended calorie intake: http://www.acaloriecalculator.com/

Good luck with your weight loss!

Amanda
mevsthebulge

Return to Ask the Mob