It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:57 pm

Free Newsletter

A few little questions

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

A few little questions

Postby Crab » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi everyone. First off, this is my first post on the board. I've been wanting to register for a while now but haven't had the guts to do it.

I've just got a few questions. I want to lose weight, but I've got a few hurdles first.

Number 1: I'm a 19 year old, and myself and my friends go out on the weekends. I drink beer, and I know this is the worst thing you can do when trying to lose weight, but I feel my social life will deteriorate if I go sober. Sad, I know.

Number 2: I don't eat fast food (on occasion I'll have Indian take out) and I go for 4k runs anywhere between twice and five times a week.

Does anyone know how I can balance these? I still want to go out and have fun with my friends, but I need to lose weight. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm poor at problem solving.

Thanks in advance. :)

Re: A few little questions

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi Crab

You have to either decrease your energy intake, or increase your energy expenditure. Work out what you are eating each day, and calculate how many kilojoules you're taking in. Find out how much you SHOULD be taking in, and then adjust it so that you're taking in less than you are expending.

Perhaps if you cut back during the week enough to balance out the weekend alcohol?

Also, on the weekends out:
If you are a beer drinker, try mixing beer with 50% diet lemonade. Don't let your mates find out, though. :-)

If you drink spirits, then change your rum and coke to rum and diet cola. Every little bit less helps.

Postby Gordz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:52 pm

just put out more than you put in mate.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go

Postby Crab » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies. The beer and diet lemonade idea I will definately be trying out. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to get away with it when drinking at a bar but at barbecues/gatherings etc, will definately give it a shot.

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Maybe volunteer to be the driver, then you have an easy excuse to drink less AND you get to be a good mate by allowing others to drink and "taking it for the team" so to speak. It's up to you obviously, and you know your mates better than we do, but perhaps they might understand a good humoured explanation that the beer gut is getting a bit too beery and the quacks are telling you to cut back?

I gave up alcohol completely a little while back and while I'm a girl and therefore less subject to the expected machismo, I do still get the quizzical looks (such is Aussie culture). I either just say "no thanks" or if they're really pushy just explain that I don't drink alcohol any more because I decided it wasn't worth the detriment to my health. I usually find if you're direct about your reasons rather than making excuses people will be more likely to respect your decision. If it's really really going to stand out and turn ugly if I'm not drinking, I'll have a "gin and tonic" or "vodka and lemonade" which only me and the barman knows is actually soda water - I make a point of only ever buying my own drinks.

The other thing to watch while you're drinking is what you're eating - drinking usually comes with eating all kinds of high calorie foods (e.g. pizza, chips etc) and it's made worse by the fact that the alcohol dis-inhibits you so you're less likely to be able to control (or even be aware of) your eating. Make sure you drink plenty of water to rehydrate and get some vitamin B into you.

Make up for any alcohol you do have with sensible eating during the week and up your exercise like everyone said - weight loss is just a matter of calories in being less than calories out.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby kotobird » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:33 pm

I find vodka and soda water with fresh lime really great - especially refreshing in summer, and only about 60 calories for a standard drink. If you can keep it to 2 or 3 of those, it shouldn't break the bank or the calorie budget :wink:

SW: 83.1
MG 1: 78kg ACHIEVED!
MG 2: 75kg
MG 3: 72.5kg
MG 4: 70kg
Final Goal: 67kg

Return to Ask the Mob