It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:30 pm

Free Newsletter

Solutions required.... Brainstorming welcome!

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Solutions required.... Brainstorming welcome!

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:51 am

Ok here's my problem:

I emotionally eat. I have a number of triggers:

1) Feeling sad (which is often). Often associated with a "why bother" thought.
2) Being bored - usually leads to sad
3) Working on my thesis - I tend to get paralyzed by anxiety about "this won't be good enough" "I can't do this", "this is too hard" and then I tend to think about food, which often leads to procrastination by muffin/chocolate. :oops: It's something about Uni that just brings out all those inferiority complexes.

I also tend to hide this kind of eating and think about ways I can sneak food I shouldn't be eating without being 'caught' by hubby, friends etc. So so stupid!

My plan has been to be aware of these situations and keep an eye on my thoughts and use distraction, chewing gum, or doing the work :shock: to reduce it however I still have heaps of trouble. This is bad for two reasons - I get fat, and I don't get my thesis done anywhere near as quickly. I know from previous experience that being out of Uni is 100% better for my eating and mental health, but to get out I need to get this thesis done so in the mean time I'd love anyone's creative practical solutions to help get me through the last 6 or so months. Telling myself "you can do it!" just isn't working, I think I need something really concrete.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Re: Solutions required.... Brainstorming welcome!

Postby e&me » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:56 pm

Gosh I have the same problems! I am at uni as well and when there is an assignment due I tend to snack a lot more.
Try cutting up veggies at the start of the day so they are there ready for when you need to snack, maybe with some homus dip or home made guacomoli?
If its chocolate you just must have, try some skinny cow icecream, or some low fat muffins- have seen weight watchers ones on the supermarket shelves.
If you like nuts then they are also a good choice, or chewing sugar free gum
1/01/2011 Start week
8/01/2011 Week 1
15/01/2011 Week 2
22/01/2011 Week 3
29/01/2011 Week 4
5/02/2011 Week 5
12/02/2011 Week 6
19/02/2011 Week 7
26/02/2011 Week 8
5/03/2011 Week 9
12/03/2011 Week 10
19/03/2011 Week 11
26/03/2011 Week 12
e&me

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi e&me! I have plenty of healthy snacks at my desk that I bring with me, but the temptation seems to be so go a buy something at the cafe because it means walking away from my desk! I'm quite devious that way :roll: Good suggestion though

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kotobird » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:11 pm

maybe the issue is that it's a high stress situation and you need to find ways to de-stress... and take food out of the equation! It's so hard to change patterns that are ingrained in our subconscious, but I have discovered something that helps me with this - hypnosis. I don't go to a practitioner, I have tried quite a few self-administering sessions from an organisation called Uncommon Knowledge. They have a website dedicated to the hypnosis sessions they produce called Hypnosis Downolads dot com. Just google that and it should be one of the first to come up. I promise I'm not a spammer/advertiser, it's just something I've found that works, because it gets to the subconscious level, the place where it is most difficult to change behaviour. It also relaxes you like meditation. I can vouch 100% for the ethics and credibility of these sessions, and they have many different ones for topics involving study motivation and emotional eating. If you're interested, PM me and I can tell you more, or even send you a sample so you can check it out before buying?

Anyway, I know hypnosis has a bit of a stigma attached to it, but it's worked for me :)

SW: 83.1
MG 1: 78kg ACHIEVED!
MG 2: 75kg
MG 3: 72.5kg
MG 4: 70kg
Final Goal: 67kg
kotobird

Postby e&me » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:25 pm

Is there a healthy option around instead of a cafe? like a sushi bar or similar? That way you can still get away from the desk but can snack on something healthy instead of blowing your diet out of the water
1/01/2011 Start week
8/01/2011 Week 1
15/01/2011 Week 2
22/01/2011 Week 3
29/01/2011 Week 4
5/02/2011 Week 5
12/02/2011 Week 6
19/02/2011 Week 7
26/02/2011 Week 8
5/03/2011 Week 9
12/03/2011 Week 10
19/03/2011 Week 11
26/03/2011 Week 12
e&me

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:46 am

kotobird - yeah I'm looking at hypnosis just to give me that extra boost, but unfortunately it seems the people I'm e-mailing to ask questions don't want to give me a price range!

e&me - unfortunately not, our uni isn't so well endowed in the eateries department, there's Lazenby's (cafe) and the Ref, both of which have a few healthy options but mostly junk really. I DID get myself a banana instead yesterday arvo :roll: I think I need to reinstate the "leave the cash at home policy" and then just got for a walk if I want to take a break.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kotobird » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:09 am

well, the downloads I told you about are about $12.95 each :)

SW: 83.1
MG 1: 78kg ACHIEVED!
MG 2: 75kg
MG 3: 72.5kg
MG 4: 70kg
Final Goal: 67kg
kotobird

Postby dinosaur371 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:23 pm

I have the same problems. I'm far worse when I'm trying to get assignments done at home though and have found that if I sit out the back and lock myself out (with the keys or boyfriend home to let me back in) with my assignment (or several, depending what time of semester :D), laptop, a bottle of water and my skipping rope/ hand weights/ stretch band, so that my options for slacking off make me burn calories. Plus the exercise helps me think more clearly.
Hope that makes sense...
dinosaur371

Postby MiniTauro » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:15 am

What is your theses about?

Same thing happened to me... during the theses and also when I was unemployed. I spent most of the time at my computer, anxious, depressed, smoking a lot, drinking a lot and gaining a lot of weight...

Some things I do now to at least TRY (I quit smoking 6 months ago - still fighting the thrive some days) and of course I can´t have my six-pack on my office desk... I have a few cups of tea (normal tea - no canned or bottled teas - no sugar), water and chewing gum.

Whenever I can, I also listen to music - no ballads! They WILL make you eat... I try to listen to rock music - it releases a lot of energy and keeps away anxiety (well, for me). The downside is, that kind of music can easily distract you from your theses.

Try to have more meals... 5 or 6 meals a day.
That should help keeping the snacks away - you have to find what keeps you satisfied. In my case, milk, cheese and well, most diary products keep me like "I´m ok", though I don´t really like them so much. Others, like apples, which are great for dieters, make me feel even more hungry than before.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not use your signature to post links to promote services or products. Only personal blog links are allowed.
MiniTauro

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:46 am

Hi MiniTauro, nice? to see the competition forums dropping in.
My thesis is a PhD in psychology.

Generally I find my weight loss efforts improve with my mental health which seems to be linked to university - step one, finish the thesis and bugger off out of university I think. :roll:

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Ask the Mob