It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:28 pm

Free Newsletter

Rest days in an exercise routine

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Rest days in an exercise routine

Postby KatiePrincess » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi, I was just wondering about rest days in an exercise routine. I've just started to walk to work, as I moved to a closer building!

It takes me about 1/2 an hour each morning of very brisk walking, and is approx 3.2 km. I bus home on the afternoons that I am going to the gym after work. The days that I am not going to the gym I was planning on walking home also, but I wasn't sure was constitutes a rest day??

Should I not be walking to/from work on the days that I have off the gym or is the walking 'light' enough to count as a rest day...?? So confused!! :?
KatiePrincess

Re: Rest days in an exercise routine

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:23 pm

Short answer: It depends!

For a regular marathon runner, a 1/2 hour each way walk to work and home would be classed as a complete bludge day I imagine. For someone who is a complete couch potato just starting into some exercise, it's a huge effort.

The idea of a rest day is to give your body a chance to recover from STRENUOUS exercise. So the question is, do you find that walk strenuous to the point that you feel you'd need a rest day? If so, take the occasional day off from it.

I personally see an hour walk as being a light exercise day, not quite a complete day off, but nothing to write home about and nothing I'd need to rest from if I did it regularly.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Re: Rest days in an exercise routine

Postby Phat-Beth » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:47 pm

I'd say it constitutes a rest day, depending on the terrain of the walk. I still walk to my daily errands when I can (I only live about 20 minutes out of town), but since it's a pretty gentle walk I still consider it a rest day.

Beth
[
Phat-Beth

Return to Ask the Mob