It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:04 am

Free Newsletter

Shopping for One?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Shopping for One?

Postby yogibbear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:24 pm

Sooo.... anyone else shop for themselves and find it hard to buy things like meat etc. and be able to use it for 2 dinners without exceeding your calorie intake or having to drastically reduce breakfast/lunch calories???

E.g. say i buy mince... the smallest size i can get is about 500-550g

Now technically that could be anywhere from 2 to maybe even 5 meals right there. So what do you do to avoid having to throw away unused meat when trying to count calories at the same time as exercising?

I tend to cook some sort of veggie + meat stir fry when i do chicken and that seems to store okay for a couple of days. So i can portion that up into 3. With the meat i tend to be adding some sauce and tomatoes etc. to it, so 2-3 days is OKAY, but i'd prefer 2 days, but then if i eat it all it is a little excessive and slots me into my maintenance calorie intake.
yogibbear

Re: Shopping for One?

Postby MissSonia » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:40 pm

Why not make batches of food and freeze the additional meals? It makes for quick and easy "take away" on those days where you just can't be bothered cooking.
MissSonia

Postby bestinred » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:59 pm

Hi, I don't know if this is an option for you but I buy my mince directly from the local butcher. It's not prepackaged, so all I have to do is ask for 500g of the lean mince but also ask for it to be separated into 5 lots of 100g. The butcher always seems happy to do this for me :)
Then I have these nice little packages of mince, all enough for 1 meal each and if I want to make a bigger meal or freeze another portion of the meal for later I can easily just get 2 or more packages of mince out of the freezer to cook with instead of one.
Mince from my butcher is usually equal to or a bit cheaper than mince from coles/woolies.

Ultimate Goal = 58kg!!
bestinred

Postby jessmeow » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:20 pm

I agree. Definitley try freezing, you can freeze the pre made meals or just seperate all your meat/poultry etc into portions and freeze in freezer bags ready to make something new!
jessmeow

Postby mummytotwo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:22 pm

freezing is your best option for sure!

once you get home, weigh out how much meat (eg mince) you'll have per meal, then put that amount in freezer bags and pop them in the freezer :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wlPAPGI/]
[/url]

BW Jan 2011: 118kg
GW after 12 week challenge:108kg

Week one: gained 0.4kg
Week two: lost 0.6kg
Week three: back to original weight
mummytotwo

Return to Ask the Mob