It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:16 pm

Free Newsletter

Inconsistant weight loss

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Inconsistant weight loss

Postby kwirky » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:34 am

I cannot lose weight consistantly. One week I will lose 0.8kg and then the next 0.2kg. WTF??????????
I am sticking to a 1300 cal eating plan and walking my dog twice a day for half an hour.
First week I lost 5.2kg and then crappy amounts after that.
It is getting hard to want to stick to the plan. :cry:

Re: Inconsistant weight loss

Postby CronicBadger » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi Kwirky

No one loses weight consistently.

The initial weight loss of 5.2 Kg that you experienced would have been mostly water, food bulk and muscle.

To "burn up" 5.2 Kg of actual fat you would have to eat NOTHING for 22 days straight (8700 Kj deficit daily, where 37000 Kj deficit needed to remove each Kg fat).

Also, scales are not perfect, and will vary by small amounts daily. Your body weight will also vary from day to day. Your metabolic rate will also change regularly due to various factors and as it tries to adjust and compensate to the changes in your diet and activities.

Assuming your average daily energy requirement is about 8700 Kj (this lessens as weight is lost), then your input of 5440 Kilojoules (1300 Cal) creates a daily energy deficit of 3260 Kj.

Fat contains about 37 Kj per gramme, so a 3260 Kj is equal to about 90 grammes of fat. Your "crappy" amounts are real and sustainable amounts. Over time they will add up to a final awesome amount.

However, your energy needs that exceed your daily input are not just obtained from fat, but also from muscle. The lost muscle will be replaced using a combination of protein and exercise. So, perhaps you may be only losing between 60 to 80 grammes of actual fat on a daily basis.

Wait for a few months and see what the AVERAGE weekly weight-loss is. I'd be willing to bet that if you continue as you are you'll lose on average, about 0.7 Kg per week, or 2.8 Kg per month.

My calculations include a lot of assumptions, and I'm not an expert in this sort of thing, so you should calculate it yourself. However, it does illustrate the biological side of losing fat and why the major initial losses have no value except as encouragement to continue.

Sticking to a weight-loss regime is difficult, which is why we are here on this forum - for encouragement, a helping hand, education and so on. There are plenty of success stories here and they all just stuck to their plan and didn't let seemingly small incremental losses or even the inevitable plateaux discourage them to the point of giving up.

So, don't worry Kwirky, you're doing just fine.

Re: Inconsistant weight loss

Postby kwirky » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:16 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a reply.

Everything you are saying makes sense, I guess somethimes I just need to hear what you said.

I will try and be patient and also to stay positive. The end will be worth it, I hope :D

Return to Ask the Mob