It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:11 am

Free Newsletter

Fluid Retention.

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Fluid Retention.

Postby Kc83 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi folks,
Does anyone suffer from fluid retention? It is a big problem for me at the moment with about 1-2 kgs of fluid retention over a day. :( ( that is not even before my premenstrual cycle). My thighs get sore and I feel soo bloated. Some herbal remedies like dandelion etc are not bad help. Some also recommend more protein intake and obviously less salt. Any other suggestions will be great. :)
Kc83

Re: Fluid Retention.

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Is it due to the heat? I know that I retain about 1-2kg of fluid on really hot days. If that's the case then there's really no solution except to wait for cooler weather.

You've mentioned reducing salt, and it's important to remember to not just reduce added salt but also the salt that sneaks into your diet through manufactured foods. Tins of diced tomatoes, for instance, vary wildly in the amount of salt added. I was amazed when I started checking sodium content in what I previously thought to be healthy foods.

Make sure you're drinking plenty of fluid. Sometimes the body holds onto water if it thinks it will become dehydrated (hence the fluid gain in hot weather) if you cut down on liquids too much paradoxically it can make you retain more fluid.

To reduce the effect of salt on your body you could increase the amount of potassium you eat. I think adults are supposed to get about 4.7g of potassium each day, but most people don't eat nearly that amount. Foods that are rich in potassium include: meat, apricots (especially dried apricots), avocado, bananas, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, kiwis, milk, oranges and orange juice, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes and winter squash.

Good luck! I hope you get your fluid retention sorted.

Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Re: Fluid Retention.

Postby Kc83 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:46 pm

Thank you for the tips Ali. :) Great idea with the Potassium. Btw my fluid retention is not heat related. Even if its cool it affects me unfortunately.
Kc83

Return to Ask the Mob