It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:49 pm

Free Newsletter

Weight gain after surgery

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Weight gain after surgery

Postby Charls86 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm in desperate need of some motivation and answers to a few questions! I have lost all motivation and I'm gaining weight very quickly.

Here's my story ..... I seriously began my weightloss journey (after a million attempts) January last year weighing approximately 99kg. I'm a type 2 diabetic and I was on insulin and medication but after losing 27kg I'm completely diet controlled. However ... I was diagnosed with gallstones late last year and have had an aweful time with diet and weight control ending up in and out of hospital with pancreatitis and infections in my liver. I stopped exercising in November last year and have not enjoyed eating ever since. At least 4 days a week I would end up vomitting and in pain. I had Lap Chole surgery a month ago and I've been eating even worse ... enjoying high fat foods because I haven't been able to eat them for so long. I weighed 72-73kg after my surgery.

Two weeks ago I decided enough was enough and I went back to they gym and started very light exercise. I've only been a handful of times so I wasn't expecting to lose any weight ..... but I've gained almost 5kg since my surgery Is this because I've lost alot of muscle mass and my metabolism has slowed down?? Is it simply due to not exercising for so long and then all of a sudden when I've resumed a normal diet (fat content wise) it's all caught up on me and I've packed on the beef??? Was it just luck that I didn't gain any weight while I wasn't exercising late last year? I'm so scared I'm going to get fat again and it's making me really sad. I've literally been in tears for days which is the worst attitude ever but I can't shake it.

Is it normal to gain weight after surgery. I've watched the scales climb sooooo fast I'm freaking out!! Can anyone tell me if an increase in weight this quickly is normal. Has it happened to anyone before. If I get back into moderate exercise (eventually high intensity) and a healthy balanced diet this week will it stop??? I hope someone can give me a bit of feedback because I'm really upset and the worst thing is I know I possibly could of prevented it by not lashing out after my surgery and attempting walks at least while I was sick. I really didn't expect to gain weight so fast and now I'm not sure if it will stop because I have no gallbladder?????

Thankyou so much for any help :)
Charls86

Re: Weight gain after surgery

Postby cailea » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:00 pm

Hiya,

I am not sure if the weight gain is caused completely by the surgery but it could very well be!

I had major liver surgery 2 years ago (and they removed my gallbladder too, to save medicare money;)), my weight fluctuated in the 10 week recovery. I think part of it has to do with the amount of different drugs that pump through you during and after surgery. My body took about a year to settle back down, unfortunately my thick hair is now very thin (supposedly a possible side effect of anaethesia).

Have patience and take the recovery time seriously. It is a lot for your body to deal with and it is telling you it is upset, confused and generally fed up with what's happened to it (well that's what I thought it was saying lol)

Don't give up, things will get back on track! :)

cailea
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNmRWop/]
[/url]
cailea

Postby Charls86 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Thanks heaps for your response! I agree and I think my body is soooo out of sorts it just needs time to adjust. I'm not going back to my gp for a while because I'm sick of medical talk and drugs! I'm going to see a naturopath/nutritionist next week and hopefully she can help me. I think alot of my problems are hormonal as I have really bad acne, mood swings and girl problems :oops: .... ???? When you go from being so overweight to a normal weight it scares you when you see it coming back! A bit of self dicipline wouldn't hurt either :oops: I've been hopeless. Thanks again :)
Charls86

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:13 pm

I had my gallbladder out a good few years ago - I don't think it's affected my actual metabolism or digestion, but that and a back injury kind of interrupted my good habits and ended up in a backslide that I'm just now correcting again.

The weight gain could be a heap of things.
Could be an increase in muscle mass if you hadn't been exercise and went back to it.
Could be that you're not being completely honest with yourself about what you're eating and how much you're exercising.
Could be your body just having itself a tantrum because you've suddenly told it it's not allowed to hoard all that yummy fat.
Could be the sudden increase in exercise and change in diet regime is playing a bit of havoc with your diabetes which might be contributing - given the consequences of that it's probably best to have a chat with the endocrinologist about it.

Hope it settles and you gat back on track!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Ask the Mob