It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:50 pm

Free Newsletter

Weight Plateu(is that spelt right?)

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Weight Plateu(is that spelt right?)

Postby cathmacca » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:30 am

Hi,
I have been on a diet and exercise plan since the end of January (briefly interupted by Cyclone Yasi in Feb) and have lost just on 10.5kgs to date.Im sticking to a 1500 calorie a day eating plan and exercising everyday by doing 13kms on the bike, 15 mins of weights to tackle the dreaded fadoobadas as well as a 30min walk along the beach with the dog.
I have been feeling great about how Im going, but have just stopped losing weight.I have about 5 kgs to go to reach what I believe is my ideal weight which is actually considered the high end of a healthy BMI for me.I have very realsitic expectations.
I have tried mixing up the exercise I do, adding more and just varying the intensity and type, changing my food choices etc all the usual things that people suggest to do but nothings helping.
I, like we all do, find it very discouraging and would love any hints, advice or whatever any one could offer to get me through this.
Im 39 and will give anything a go.My only reservation is an minor injury in my neck which precludes me doing execises that put too much stress on it but other than that fire away.
Thanks
Cath :mrgreen:
cathmacca

Re: Weight Plateu(is that spelt right?)

Postby CronicBadger » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:26 pm

I've hit several plateaux and it took a month or two to get past them using the techniques you describe above. For how long have you stoppedlosing weight? A week? A month?

A couple of ideas:

1) You've probably increased your muscle bulk and their weight might be replacing the weight of the fat you are losing. Muscles won't grow indefinitely so if that is the cause then expect a spurt of weight loss to continue soon.

2) As you have lost weight your energy requirements may have dropped a bit. Recalculate your BMR - it might indicate you need to cut your kilojoules down by a few hundred.

3) Check what you are eating - maybe you've unknowingly increased your energy intake.

Regardless, just keep on going and measure you progress on how you feel. As long as you are using more energy than you are taking in then the weight-loss will kick in again at some point due to the laws of physics.
CronicBadger

Postby cathmacca » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:11 pm

Thanks alot for the advice.
I was wondering if it could have something to do with putting on a bit of muscle because before I started this I didnt exercise at all and was very flabby and now I can see the shape of the muscle that was hiding underneath all that weight.
I will have to recalculate my BMR again even though I have actually dropped my daily allowance by around 300 cals a day just to see if that helps.
This time the weight loss has stalled for over a week, It did it once before and I eventually worked out that was probably related to my menstrual cycle (water retention is a censored :) ).
Just having someone tell me what I probably already intellectually knew has really helped, so thankyou.When you finally make the decision to live your life the way you should its hard to get past the stumbling blocks along the way and some friendly advice makes all the difference :mrgreen:
cathmacca

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:41 pm

The BMI is a guide, but its not the be all and end all. If you've been doing a decent amount of exercise and toning your lean muscle mass your BMI may be off and your "weight" may not go down but your fat does. Some of the new fancy schmancy scales will do a body fat v muscle comparison - kinda handy info to have if you can afford to get one. Otherwise if you're a member of a gym or something they may have a set?
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Ask the Mob