It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Free Newsletter

Mince meat

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Mince meat

Postby Cassbop » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:53 am

Hello,

Just a quick question, I was wondering if lean beef mince is good for you or not? I have been told different things? Like it is fatty and that kind of meat meat is not good for you?

Thanks
Cassbop

Re: Mince meat

Postby CronicBadger » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:02 pm

It's a bit hit or miss. Mince is made from the meat that can't be made into sensible cuts of meat, and will thus have a fair amount of fat no matter what. Check the labels on packaged mince, or ask your butcher.

Perhaps it would be best to have your butcher mince a lean cut of meat, it's more expensive, but at least you're not then paying for fat and water. It's for precisely this reason that now only mince I ever buy is kangaroo due to the much lower fat content.

I did a search for the official Australian Standard definition for "lean meat". There is none, yet, but Food Standards Australia has the following law proposed (obviously not complied by everyone):
"Mince must be made from minced whole meat (ie the only fat allowed is that attached to a piece of meat). Where a claim is made such as premium or lean mince then the percentage of fat must be declared."

One other thing you could do regardless of its fat content is cook the mince till it goes brown then sit it in water and scoop off the fat that floats to the top then put it back in the pan or pot and continue to cook it.

Other references:
The Whirlwind Australian telecoms forum has a good thread regarding fat in mince:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1680994
CronicBadger

Postby Cassbop » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:31 pm

oh thanks heaps for the information! I didn't even think about Kangaroo Mince meat....I will get onto it for sure :)
Cassbop

Postby damonwhite1978 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:06 pm

If you want some more recipes on Kangaroo Mince, I found this site, in fact probably most information about Kangaroo you might find here, see below.

http://macromeats.com/Recipes.aspx
damonwhite1978

Return to Ask the Mob