It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:11 pm

Free Newsletter

Newbie here. Have some questions.

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie here. Have some questions.

Postby mohammad.khalid » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:47 am

Assalamalaikum (Peace be onto you) to the Muslims,
And a friendly Hi to everyone else.

I am a newbie here, although I've come here before when I was thinking about weight loss. Now I've become serious about attempting it and so have some questions which I'm sure many of you can answer due to the years of experience some members have gathered through the years.

I currently weigh 106 KG and have a height of 184 cm and thus a BMI of 31.3 (Obese, according to the site I checked). I want to reach 80 KG just to loose all the extra fat.

The Questions:
1) How long do you think it will take? Please state the plan used with the time you give. Ex: It will take 3 months if you walk 3 km everyday, etc...

2) If you loose weight very fast, it is unhealthy and you have a higher chance of gaining it all back pretty fast too. Is this concept true?

3) Will having a diet of only fruits and vegetables help without drastically affecting my health?

4) What kind of exercises can you recommend that can be easily done in the home without going to a gym or some field? I have a thread mill too, so any kind of plan here is most welcome.

Thank You for all the help.
mohammad.khalid

Re: Newbie here. Have some questions.

Postby Metalcharm » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:13 pm

It's a bit hard to answer the questions so generally as everyone is different but I'll give it a go.

1/ For a healthy weight loss I would aim for an average of half to one kilo a week. It will be quicker at the start and will slow down asyou get closer to your goal. To do this you would need to exercise 4-5 times a week for an hour a day and to restrict your calorie intake.

2/ yes. DOn't think of it as a "diet" that you will eat fruit and veg for six months and then go back to your old ways .. think of it as eating healthy for the rest of your life.

3/ Vegetarians get along just fine but do need to be careful to get the nutrients from other sources that you would normally get form meats.

4/ Get some exercise DVDs, get on the treadmill, follow along to some exercise tv shows. Skipping is brilliant. Through the ad breaks get up and do squats. There's a million things but just MOVE.

It's not easy but anyone can do it. There's no need fancy foods and expensive gyms .. it's a matter of eating less and moving more and STICKING to it. Sure you'll have some slip ups but it's important not to fall off the wagon completely but just to jump straight back on.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby mohammad.khalid » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:34 pm

Your reply was much appreciated.

Some follow up questions if you don't mind.

1) If I change to an all vegetable diet with meat in it once a while, will this help me lose weight faster than just having a greatly reduced regular diet?

2) How important is breakfast when attempting to reduce weight? I've seen on these forums people who just fore go tea, eggs, etc... for some fruit. Shouldn't breakfast be rich in energy to get through the day?

3) I've read on these forums, tips on how to lose weight fast. One of them which I agree with is to fore go food which contain white substances (sugar, flour, wheat, etc...). Does this mean a total boycott from these foods or a cautionary measure to intensely reduce their intake?

Once again, thanks for the advice.
mohammad.khalid

Postby Metalcharm » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:10 pm

no worries.

1/ I don't really know but I'm going to say it won't make much of a difference. It's basically about calories in and calories out. Having too much red meat isn't great but if you stuck to lean meats, like skinless chicken and even kangaroo, then it's all good.

2/Personally I like to have a good breakfast and a typical breakfast for me at the moment is half a cup of mixed berries, skim milk, 3/4 cup museli and some yoghurt. The yoghurt gives me energy and the wholegrains in the museli keeps me full for hours. If your metabolism is firing then you should be hungry when you first wake up and want to eat. You should eat 4-6 small meals a day.

3/There's a time and place for everything but your comment of intensely reducing them is a good one. Things with white flour are highly processed and it takes no time at all for your body to digest them and soon you are hungry again. Most 'white' things have a whole grain alternative, brown rice, wholegrain bread, wholegrain pasta and these are the things you should be going for as they will make you feel full for longer and you won't want to snack on crap.

Good luck!
Metalcharm

Postby mohammad.khalid » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks a lot for all the help. Let's see how it goes :)
mohammad.khalid

Postby Metalcharm » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:42 pm

Keep us updated on your progress! :D
Metalcharm

Return to Ask the Mob