It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:34 pm

Free Newsletter

Gallbladder removal and weight gain

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Gallbladder removal and weight gain

Postby Jac275 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi

Im not sure whether anyone can help me or not, but here goes.

I just got diagnosed with gallstones, and most likely having my gallbladder out. I have read and heard that having it removed can cause weight gain, and I am really nervous about that happening if i have it out.

Has anyone had their gallbladder removed and had weight gain follow, or anyone who hasnt had any change in weight or weight loss even.

Its already hard enough to get my weight down after quitting smoking, let alone adding something else to it to make it harder.

Thanks
Jac275

Re: Gallbladder removal and weight gain

Postby Jody d » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi, I had my gallbladder out some years ago, and you will feel better once you have recovered from the surgery, I lost a bit of weight straight after, as you dont feel like eating a lot for a while, and as long as you make haelthy choices and do a bit of walking the. slowly build up you should be fine! Just remember after the surgery,that when you are up to eating a lot, that you wont be able to process fatty foods very well and they make you feel quite ill. Thing such as a feed of battered fish and chips will make you feel very unwell cause you dont have a gall bladder to help break down the fat!
Jody d

Re: Gallbladder removal and weight gain

Postby Roblyssa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:05 pm

I had my gall bladder removed in 2008 (I think) and it was the best thing to ever happen to me!! As for weight gain, I am not sure as my weight seemed to creep up over some time and I wasn't thin at the time of the op anyway, but like Jody said, you won't feel like eating afterward, you will be very uncomfortable for a few days also, but once you are feeling better, you should make good choices, eat small meals often and exercise regularly (even 10 minute walk a day).

Good luck, stay positive!
Roblyssa

Return to Ask the Mob