It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:14 am

Free Newsletter

Need to lose 20kg - duromine??

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Need to lose 20kg - duromine??

Postby misscarly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi everyone!

My name is Carly, I'm 18 years old from Darwin, Australia. Over the last three or so years (year 11, year 12 and my gap year) I have put on around 20kg which I would now like to lose. My father has just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and my mother has been yoyo dieting her entire life.

My goal is to feel happy and healthy - the last time I remember feeling that way was when I weighed around 70kg. At 90kg, I'd like to get back to that weight and finally feel good about myself once again. I'm sick of feeling like I can't leave the house, I'm sick of ridicule and horrible looks... I'm sick of myself the way I am.

I should tell you that for the past 18 months, while I have been living out of home, I've tried everything. Tony Ferguson, Optislim or whatever, all those crazy detox diets, increased exercise and decreased food intake, a fully vegan diet, a totally raw diet, vegetarian, Dukan diet... everything. Nothing worked at all - I ended up putting on weight instead! Thyroid problems have been ruled out, as have all of the other weight gain-related problems. It mostly comes down to the fact that I lack motivation, I think - if I don't see results within 2 - 4 weeks, I give up. Which is why I'd like to start on Duromine.

I feel like Duromine would help kickstart things - show me the results I want to see, as well as give me confidence and the motivation to take it further. I have been on a healthy eating plan for the past month and whilst it makes me feel great, there have been no results - even with regular vigorous exercise!!! It's so frustrating, I could cry.

All in all, I'd like to hear about how Duromine made you feel when you first started on it... Not physically, but mentally. Did it help you gain motivation? That's all I'm looking for here!!!

Thank you for reading! :)

Oh..! One last thing - my regular doctor is at a medical clinic type facility which is known for it's "anti-amphetamines" policy.. I was hoping that someone could tell me a place in Darwin where I can go to be prescribed with Duromine?? Thank you!
misscarly

Re: Need to lose 20kg - duromine??

Postby Roblyssa » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:10 pm

Hi there,

I have been on Duromine 30mg for just over 2 weeks now, so I am into my 3rd week.

Mentally, it did nothing to me. I had no side effects whatsoever, no express cleaning of the house or walking 20km or anything. I didn't sleep well for the first 4 nights, but I was never tired. That is the only difference I felt in myself.

Before being prescribed Duromine, I had been working out and eating a 1200 calorie diet for 8 weeks, to only have lost 3kg. I do have thyroid issues, and the doctor put me on Duromine.

The first week I lost 1.8kg, the second week I lost 200 grams. It is NOT a magical cure, I still exercise 5-6 times a week and stick to my calorie diet and sometimes, even with meds, I lose very little to almost nothing.

Good luck on your journey.

Kellie
Roblyssa

Postby Mike.healthy.living » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:11 pm

I tried duromine. Didnt work as good as I hoped quite expensive as well.

Eat right foods, exercise before breakfast and have a positive mindset is what I rely on, no pills. Works good for me.

To your success!
Mike.healthy.living

Postby Metalcharm » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:42 am

If you gave up all those things within 2 weeks then you haven't tried everything.
Be really honest now .. and you're only lying to yourself here .. did you REALLY try hard? No going over your calorie level (which is?) and did you really give exercising a go (by doing?), no cheating by having little treats becuase you just worked so hard in your exercise and had a salad for lunch .. or a night out (just this once) .. grabbed Maccas on the way home after a busy day?

I just find it hard to believe that if all the medical problems have been ruled out that all the things you mentioned wouldn't work.

First off .. stop calling it a diet. it's a well worn cliche but start calling it your lifestyle change and think of it as something you are going to be doing forever.
And secondly read read read every article you can that explains good food choices. I get at least three emails daily from different websites with different diet tips, exercise hints and recipies and while I think I have a pretty good grasp on what is good and bad it's good to have it re-inforced often.
Often times people think they're eating healthily on things like fruit juice and museli bars when they are actually full of sugar and to be avoided.

Sorry if I'm been a bit hard on you but, really, I wish someone had been hard on me when I was 18! Spend the next twenty years looking fabulous and not frumpy!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby brittabritta » Tue May 08, 2012 3:27 pm

I was on Duromine when I was 19, and I lost about 20kg on it.

I had dry mouth, heart palpitations and didn't sleep very well, but I wasn't tired. The side effects were nothing compared to the weight I was losing, but my doctor was very careful and constantly checked my blood pressure and heart rate. The real mental side effects were that when you started losing the weight people would notice and comment. That was the only thing that motivated me. Duromine helped me drop the weight quickly (if may or may not work for you though) but you MUST not cheat yourself. I found it very easy to go back to junk food, and it would still give me a kilo loss at the end of the week. If you decide on duromine you must eat at LEAST 1200 calories a day so that you don't pile the kgs back on afterwards.
brittabritta

Postby gettnthere » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:37 pm

wow Roblyssa I have been the same nice to hear of someone nearly identical...

Since the end of January I have been on a healthy eating plan and at least 30 minutes of exercise a day I was also eating around 1200 calories...lost like 2 kgs first week then slowly tapered off to losing not much or gaining.
4 weeks ago the dr put me on Duromine 30mg... about 2 hours after the first tablet I had severe stomach cramps which lasted about an hour then tapered off to manageable cramps for a few hours after 3 hours all up I was fine.

I tried ringing the dr to see if I should continue but no reply so I decided to give it a go the next day this time I was fine so continued to take it.
I had hoped to lose a lot of weight and gain energy from all the stuff I had read online....however after the stomach cramps there was nothing, no dry mouth no extra energy etc I didn't see any change. Weight wise the first week I lost 1.8kgs, second week 1.4kgs 3rd week 800 grams and last week was 200gms now considering I am burning 2000 - 2600 calories a week in exercise and on a 1300 calorie intake a day I would expect to see a 1kg or so lose every week without duromine.
Thursday the Dr has increased my dose to 40mg and he said if I am still not seeing a difference he will increase to 45mg then 50mg so far on 40mg (a whole 2 days) I havnt seen any difference from the 30mg.

Duromine works for some people however if you have not changed your eating habits so you are having a healthy diet and exercising for 30 minutes at minimum 3 times a week (this can be 2 short 15 minute walks a day) then even if it does work for you, you will put the weight back on and more. Duromine is a tool not a miracle cure. a healthy eating plan and regular exercise is the most healthy way to shed kgs. starving yourself wont work either in the long term.
you need to work out how many calories you need to maintain your weight then cut that down a few hundred calories, eat healthy foods and exercise. keep a food diary and put every little thing that goes into your mouth into the journal so you can see exactly how much your eating and what kind of foods, fat content, salt etc
gettnthere

Postby SydneyPT » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:57 pm

Sorry but I agree with metalcharm. If you don't have any medical conditions and you say you are not losing body fat, you are overeating.
Check out my Facebook page- Insanely Fit Personal Training
SydneyPT

Postby TheWeightless » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:18 am

If you are using duromine, I STRONGLY suggest you to consume more than 1200 calories a day... I was consuming 1000-1200 calories a day and had serious problems.... :?
TheWeightless

Return to Ask the Mob