It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:26 pm

Free Newsletter

What should I cut out forever??

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

What should I cut out forever??

Postby Tea85 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:12 pm

I was just wondering what foods should I cut out of my diet forever??

I know there are obvious things like coke ect however I've been told by friends ect that I should cut out potatoes, bread even carrots. Are there hidden foods that are bad for your goal of weight loss?

So please help!
Tea85

Re: What should I cut out forever??

Postby Blitz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Nothing.

As soon as you erect a fence around it, you'll be craving it. Think rather in terms of food that will help you reach your goals quicker and what won't. You may have anything...but if you eat it - you own it. Which means that to be true to yourself you have an obligation to do extra exercise to work it off. If you think like that usually you won't eat it in the first place because its not worth the extra hassle to work it off.

Carbs have a place in our daily intake. Everything in balance and moderation. The problem with diets (restrictive food group eating) is that they are not real world situated. You have to aim for a lifestyle change in eating habits. Balance and moderation. That is the key to permanent weight loss.

Regards
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: Maintaining for life!
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Tea85 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:12 pm

Thanks Blitz

That's a better way to look at it!!

If I slip up and eat a chocolate bar or fatty bacon and egg muffin I need to workout harder and longer to make up for it! That's do able :)
Tea85

Postby Blitz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:54 pm

Careful, it ain't a get out of gaol free card!

If you eat it - you own it means that you take ownership and responsiblity for it. You must minimalise the damage of your actions. To eat recklessly will pay out later on your weight results. The key question you must ask yourself before eating is, "Is it worth the trouble it takes to get it off?". I suggest to you the answer is almost always no.

If you decide that something can't be done without you still must limit yourself and stay in control. For example, chocolate seems to tempt most people. Actually small amounts of chocolate is healthy. The trouble is that most bars of chocolate are loaded with fats and sugars and not with real chocolate. There was a program on tv once where this man was trying to introduce gourmet chocolate to the UK market. He gathered a group of self confessed "chocoholics" to test drive his product. He discovered that they didn't like his chocolate because they were really addicted to the sugars and fats and not real chocolate. The healthier choice is dark chocolate labelled 70% (but 80% is better). A small amount by the way isn't a bar...it's a block or two (pieces of a bar).

I choose to eat small amount of bacon a few times a week. But I make sure that the portion size is carefully monitored. It has been more than once that I've sent back half of it because my wife has given me too much. The bacon should also be trimmed of excess fat. The days that I eat bacon tend to be my full on exercise days. My thinking here is that these are muscle making days and the protein will be of benefit rather than harm.

Nothing wrong with an egg muffin so long it is the only thing on your breakfast menu for the day. On the first day of the school holidays I take my daughter to breakfast at Macca's for a treat. The egg McMuffin thingy is all I have (never was a fan of Macca's even when I was super obese). But to minimalise the damage we walk the 30 minutes to the shop and the 30 minutes back. If she wants Macca's that bad, she's gotta pay the piper! :shock:

Regards
Kim
Now: Maintaining for life!
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:08 pm

I had four slices of take-away pizza two days ago. And yesterday I had some of my brother's chocolaty, sugary birthday cake.

But they were exceptions, and I'm not concerned. My normal diet is mostly vegetables, cereals, some fruit and lean meat.

In the long term, small diversions from a healthy diet won't matter much. What is important though is that these small, often unavoidable diversions from healthy eating habits do not become, once again, the norm.
CronicBadger

Return to Ask the Mob