It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:05 pm

Free Newsletter

One for the girls!

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

One for the girls!

Postby Scarlett » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:22 am

Hey there, just wondering if anyone out there turns into a voracious eating machine during PMT? If yes, do you have some tips on how to combat the premenstrual munchies? :wink:
Scarlett

Re: One for the girls!

Postby misk » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Yes, so yes! I've read that you burn a bit more calories during that time of the month though so it explains why we're starving. I tend to not restrict myself from that chocolate bar i'm craving during that week. BUT it's also a good way too lose a bit more weight while doing the same amount of exercise - of course the trade off is that you'll be starving and a complete b&*^ :P
misk

Postby Scarlett » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:15 am

:lol:
Scarlett

Postby Sydneygirl » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Yeah I fell off the wagon for a whole week during that time. I'm going to have to be way more careful this month.
Try and have some healthy treats on hand at that time so when the premenstural munchies hit its easier to get a fix but in a healthy way. Fruit, nuts, yoghurt. Just depends what your craving.
Moderation? PMT Sophie doesn't know that word, but I'm going to have to teach it to her.
Sophie

Highest weight 96kgs
Start weight 93kgs
Goal weight 60kgs
Sydneygirl

Postby Michelle-leeC1989 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:04 pm

. I have tried to keep my fluids up so I don't feel hungry.

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
Michelle-leeC1989

Postby Sarah7 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:47 pm

i dont think i feel like im starving but i do crave sugar.. alot! its the only time you'll ever see me searching the cupboards and fridge in vain for hidden sweets. it wasnt uncommon for the old me to eat the honey straight from the jar :oops:. im still trying to come up with a healthy alternative that satisfies the craving at the moment im settling for a piece of fruit and big glass of water, wich seems to work... sometimes. im going to try making my own low fat frozen yogurt in small portions and see how that goes.
Sarah7

Postby tinkerbella » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:57 pm

Oh yes i sure do and do you know what i do,
well i just go with it and ttry not too worry about it as im in a bad enough mood without trying too worry about my weight at that time of the month,i am soooo hungry and nothing i eat seems too make me feel as if im happy...So just go with it as i find i drop the weight as soon as its over...
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby saffy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:23 am

I find I have the worst sugar cravings. Sometimes I give in and have some lollies, then feel bad afterwards. Maybe I should try some low fat yoghurt instead. I do eat fruit but it doesn't seem to satisfy the intense cravings.

I gave up soft drink a few months ago but have two cases of Solo that I didn't drink, so once about every six weeks I have one can. I realised the other night that it was as satisfying to drink that one 160 calorie can as it is to eat a 600 calorie bag of Starburst lollies, so worst case scenario I will try that first next time rather than cave in to the lollies.

My other problem is that once my period starts, the cravings disappear but after the first day I can't visit the gym as my flow is quite heavy and gets more so with exercise, to the point of needing to change tampons every 10-20 minutes. SO if I give in to my cravings, it's a few days before I can start to undo the damage. The best I can do is exercise at home (iphone music, headphones and dancing - just got to remember not to sing :)) within range of the bathroom.
saffy

Postby Fallonw » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:01 pm

I have been trying to get around the chocolate and sugar cravings as well.

I came up with two things that I think might work.

1. Melting one row of dark chocolate and dipping strawberries or other fruit in it. Then in the fridge for a bit to set.

2. Putting 1tsp of cinnamon on fruit.
Fallonw

Postby admin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:47 am

Sugar is difficult to kick if you have been addicted to it for so long. You just have to keep persisting with it and not let it beat you. IF you have been a slave to it for a long time and kicking it completely going cold turkey doesn't always work for everyone. Have a treat now and again. Great idea about melting some chocolate with some strawberries.......banana dipped in choc would be great as well.
Cut out all your incidental sugar in tea and coffee, have a milo instead.
Sorry to hear you have trouble with your period, it really is something you are not in control of and just have to manage the best you can....damn thing.
Let us know how you go.
Sharrelle
admin
Site Admin

Postby DD Diva » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:47 am

I don't see why anyone should give up some of life's little pleasures. :(

I'm not advocating pigging out on chocolate, or any other food (for that matter) but when you look at it from a broader perspective, will one small freddo frog, or a mini (fun size) mars bar really undo all your good work? Guess what, it won't!

The greatest sabotage to any "diet" (and I use that word loosely as I'm not a fan and agree it's about a life change, not a diet) is deprivation.

Deprive yourself from anything and instantly you'll find yourself craving it. :?

So the answer is simple..... :wink: Quit fighting the losing battle....Don't deprive yourself!

Allow yourself the indulgence, but for goodness sake, make it a SMALL indulgence and leave it at that. Moderate the indulgence, give in (just a little) to it and you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that the outcome will be the same as if you didn't. :D

I've lost 28 kg and I've had everything I wanted, missed out on nothing, and am enjoying everyday closer to a brand new me with a whole new outlook on food. I'm not afraid of it any more, I don't have the fear that if I eat one chip it will lead to me consuming the whole packet.

It's taken me many years of fad, restrictive and even healthier option "diets" to finally come to terms with my eating behaviour and more importantly, to take charge of what, when and how much I eat! Best of all, for the first time in years, I'm in control and not the food!

Food doesn't scare me. I can have it all (in moderation) it's not about the food, it's about your attitude towards it. Stop fearing it, and learn to get along. Embrace the food, but take charge; let it know whose boss!

So have a little chocolate, give in to your need for sugar; listen to your body but use your mind. Have ONE PIECE and leave it at that....

All the best, and keep up the good work! :)

Cheers,
Diva
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:17 am

You are right on the button there Diva! As soon as you put a fence around something...everyone wants to get in.

Moderation...sigh...unfortunately that is where it often falls down. :shock: That is the thing that we have to learn as we get into our lives a healthy lifestyle that works in our life - permanently.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:04 am

Blitz wrote:As soon as you put a fence around something...everyone wants to get in.
Sounds like a comedy waiting to be written.......the food industry has just put a ban on the sale of healthy food, and so next thing you see is herds of people pushing and shoving, scrambling over the top of each other to get to the healthy food isles! Similar to store entrances at the opening Boxing day sales at the major shopping centres! You can almost hear people screaming at each other "HEY..THAT'S MY BROCCOLI!" or "I SAW THAT CELERY FIRST!" :lol:
DD Diva

Postby Sarah91 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:10 am

Obviously I have high cravings especially during PMT. Mouth-watering of chocolates, ice cream, pizza, burger, fried chicken, etc. My appetite is on top. According to science cause of cravings may be due to serotonin levels, which are generally lower during PMT. Serotonin is the feel-good chemical in our brain. When levels are low we crave sugars and especially other carbohydrates like potato chips. That's because the body uses carbs to make serotonin. One way to minimize our cravings is to eat small meals frequently (six time maybe) throughout the day that will help us regulate blood sugar level and control our cravings. Another is exercise which boosts endorphins and decreases the appetite.
Sarah91

Return to Ask the Mob