It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:59 pm

Free Newsletter

burning calories

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

burning calories

Postby Jisgone » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:57 pm

ok this might sound confusing but, im on a very tight time schedule but i wont leave the gym till ive burnt 500 calories, so im wondering if its just as good to burn 500 calories in 45 mins doing a more intense workout as it would be burning them in an hour and a half at a slower pace?
i heard somewhere its better doing a more intense workout as it gets your heartheart up higher but i really dont remember
Jisgone

Postby Playboy_bunny » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:42 pm

hhhmmm I dont know sorry jewels.... :shock: Im sure Sarah or Kim or somebody will know :D
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Mandie » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:08 am

500 calories is 500 calories.. it doesn't matter if you burn it over 3 hours or 30 minutes!

Check your target heart rate when you do exercise. You should be able to find your target heart rate for fat burning somewhere (not sure exactly where, google is our friend though)... make sure you don't work harder than this, as that's when you start burning muscle instead of fat!

Also, remember that you are more likely to injure yourself if you work under intense pressure, so always take time to warm up and stretch, and don't overwork yourself - there should be a "push" but you should be able to breathe well enough to talk, and you shouldn't have any massive pain in any area.

Best of luck!
Mandie

Postby Jisgone » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:34 am

my heart reat is normally 150-160 when im at the gym, and im 22, im not sure what my fat burning heart rate is. i use the treadmill on a 12% incline at 6.5km/h i feel puffed but not strained, and it gets easier as i go alone :)
does burning the 500 calories faster mean my heart rate doesnt stay up high for aslong after excercise?
Jisgone

Return to Ask the Mob