It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:11 pm

Free Newsletter

Flavour-free protein powder

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Flavour-free protein powder

Postby milkyway » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:14 pm

OK, I have been using Calorie King religiously and I can now see that I have a serious lack of protein in my diet. Plenty of carbs and fats - don't need to squeeze any more of those in ;), but I'm really only getting about half the protein I need, even when I do eat meat, a bit of cheese etc.

Anyhoo, I think I will sucumb and buy some powder. Can anyone recommend a brand? I'd prefer something that doesn't have have any flavour (ie no shakes). I'd just like to add it to my morning bowl of miso soup and rice, or to a pasta dish or soups if I'm cooking one etc. without upsetting the flavour.

I s'pose I could just trot over to the health food store... but you guys are always full of great and varied answers I thought I'd try here first :D
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Chelle » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:41 pm

I suggest sandra go to the health food store it all the matter or trial & error, people have difference taste. Just buy the small container to start with to see if you like it. The people at the health food store will be able to guide you in the right direction.
Chelle

Postby KimE » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:06 pm

I have only had the flavoured ones that I mainly use by adding to low fat yoghurt with oats or nuts and seeds.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby SarahC » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:31 pm

I have the Nature's Way soy protein, in the natural flavour. I mainly add it to cakes/slices and protein bars. I've tried mixing it in with soups and it's kind of icky. It won't change the flavour much, but it does change the texture. Definitely don't put it in miso soup, or any kind of thin, watery soup though!
SarahC

Postby milkyway » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:43 pm

Thanks for the tips, Sarah. I'm very fussy about the texture of food, so I'd hate to ruin a perfectly good soup with some gluggy powder. I was expecting a powder like some pure carb powder I had last year for endurance training - that just dissolved in water or whatever it was added to and you couldn't taste a thing.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby NewFoundGlory » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:59 pm

i use the optimum nutrition range which i found was very micronised and just stirring it in with low fat milk it isnt lumpy at all. try the rocky road flavour, by far the best :)
NewFoundGlory

Return to Ask the Mob