It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:49 pm

Free Newsletter

sugarfree/low joule soft drinks

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

sugarfree/low joule soft drinks

Postby madeline » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:23 am

Are these bad for you if had reguarly (say a couple of glasses a day)?

I used to be a diet coke-a-day girl, but i heard some shocking things about it linking to heart problems so i've decided to look elsewhere for my carbonated "sugar" fix.

At the moment i'm drinking sugarfree creaming soda (the whole bottle is 20kj), but I can't help thinking it's worse for me than it's sugarloaded equivilent.

What do you girls think?
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:39 am

I know their is a lot of negative press re. artificial sweeteners atm...I dont know personally, I think anything in moderation madz :D Like, if you were drinking 6 ltrs a day, then that would be bad, but I cant see a prob with a few glasses! i drink caffiene free diet coke/pepsi, mainly because I allow connor a glass with dinner and dont want him to have the sugar or the caffiene...I think anything in moderation mate ;) (oh btw that diet creaming soda was yummy! but it gave me a killer headache afterwards! :( )
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby ali » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:41 am

Well im not sure, but according to the news the other day both soft drinks and the diet versions are bad for you. I think that all the chemicals and additives they use and the sugar alternatives in the diet versions are still really bad for you... but i dont know. I used to drink a couple of cans of diet coke a day, but after seeing the news I got a little worried by how much i drank... Im down to about 3 a week... its hard! My sister is doing nutrition at uni and she said that the sweeteners used in the diet drinks are still bad for you. I think everything in moderation though...

Sorry i was so vague, i dont think i helped at all! But yeah, i have heard that they can be bad for you. So just watch how much you consume!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0XqXGi/]
[/url]
GOAL 1: 59KG - 30/12/07
GOAL 2: 56KG
GOAL 3: 53KG
ali

Postby madeline » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:34 am

hehe thanks for the replies girls <3

yeah i know what you mean about the diet creaming soda = headache thing :? I was going to try diet ginger beer next... cause it has ginger in it... and ginger's good yeah? LOL

*heads off to shops to try out muffin break WW muffin as promised & diet ginger beer* :D
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby Iwillbefit » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:37 pm

I used to drink it heaps - at least 1 can a day if not more...and the whole time I was working out like crazy AND I was watching what I was eating and I found I was losing weight but not as much as I could had I not had it at all.
I cracked the 90kg mark for the first time in two years, I'm happy!!
Iwillbefit

Postby Ally » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:09 pm

Hey Madz I had to stop drinking/eating anything with artificial sweetener in it as it was causing a lot of unexplained side effects....severe headaches, unexplained bloating, tingling in the face, arms, wrists and back of the neck, dizziness etc.....I did some research of my own and stopped having it....all these symptoms are gone and occasionally I will pay the price and have a diet softdrink only to either wake up with a blinding headache or the tingling and dizziness....... :roll: :roll:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:46 pm

There are some brands and flavours of soft drinks which also have me wake up in the middle of the night with blinding migraines too. I used to have a major diet soft drink and sugar-free chewing gym addiction until I did my 10 days on the Candida diet where you're not allowed any artificial sweeteners except Stevia and Xylitol, the natural ones.
I've found that I feel a lot better without all that cr*p in my system, so I'm refusing to buy sugar free lollies/soft drink/gum. I still have the occassional thing with sweetener in it but compared to what I used to be like, I'm a saint.

My mum has had a Diet Coke addiction (as well as an artificial sweetener addiction) for years and years, because she was a dieter too. And sometimes I can't help but think it contributed to the massive benign neuroma in her brain she ended up with a few years ago...
zeedeveelgirl

Postby loveat116 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:22 pm

I drink Diet Waterfords, 20kj per serve, in apple berry.

It says its natural mineral water, but it still has artificial sweetners in it. Tastes better than diet coke I think, but I only limit myself to a bottle a week.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby SarahC » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:48 am

I've been using splenda and stevia for sweetners. Recently I had to make an emergency trip to Priceline (ok, I dropped my packet of splenda tablets into my coffee :( :oops: ) and all they had there was "Sugarine"... it was awful! Apart from tasting terrible, it made me feel all funny, can't explain it, but very wierd.

Anyway, re diet soft drinks... I reckon a glass here or there should be fine. But yeah you wouldn't want to go sculling litres of it every day. I think we had a thread re diet soft drinks on here a while back that was quite interersting. Might see if I can find that.
SarahC

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:43 pm

my decision around this goes as follows (and this is a decision I made relating to my life, so it may not be the best one for you)

- I don't 'do' artificial sweeteners. My approach is to try as far as possible to eat things that are as close to having been in the ground or moving around as possible - i.e. low processed foods (vege, lean meat, grains etc). Artificial sweetneers just don't fit in with that and they can have a range of ergghy side effects. If I want something sweet, I have something sweet with all the traditional bad stuff in it like sugar, cream etc, I just have it in moderation as a special treat. BUT I am lucky in that I have never been a soft drink fan. Not even in my unhealthy 110kg days. They are just too sweet for me and make me feel bloated, so I never had much to do with them to start with.

Also, this way I am distinguishing between the foods that are to have every day (i.e. fruit/veg etc) and the occasional foods (fizzy drinks, cakes etc) and not giving myself the "but it's a diet product so I can have it all the time" option.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Bron M » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:44 am

I have a friend that used to drink 2cans of diet soft drink a day and had a siezure that the Drs think was caused by long term use/consumption of artificial sweeteners. There is apparently a limit to how much your body can cope with in a day, and if it doesn't clear it , it gets absorbed into your system, which is when you get all the side effects. Apparently if you do a internet search there is heaps of research on it.

Best carbonated drink is natural mineral water with slices of lemon, orange ect. No nasty chemicals.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wi1msKf/]
[/url]
Bron M

Postby sassi » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:52 am

i hope your friend is okay now bron.

i also knew of someone who went to the drs because they were having horrible headaches every day. the doc asked them if they'd stopped drinking diet softdrink recently, which they had - they'd stopped drinking diet coke which they'd been having every day for ages. apparently getting headaches is not unusual when you stop drinking it :shock:

i know it must be bad for me but i do enjoy diet coke & pepsi max :( i think i'm going to have to do more research and try and put myself off completely! i'm having a bit of a 'thing' at the moment about what i'm putting into my body!
sassi

Postby Bron M » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:00 am

Friend is recovering well. I also am trying to be careful about what I put into my body. There are so many natural sweeteners out there and they do less harm than the chemicals.

One thing I also found out about sacharine is that they have found that it stimulates something in your brain and makes you crave more sweet foods.

I found that when I took artifical sweetners out of my diet I reduced the amount of sugar and chocolate cravings I had....

Hope it helps.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wi1msKf/]
[/url]
Bron M

Postby sassi » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:08 am

that's good news :)

that is a big help, thank you :) i think i might try cutting it out for the most part and see what happens.
sassi

Postby Ally » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:50 am

Tegan...that is a very good idea....I think that is the trouble we have diet products every day because we can, but in reality it doesn't teach us anything about moderation......some food for thought there for sure!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Next

Return to Ask the Mob