It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:37 am

Free Newsletter

Body Fat

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Body Fat

Postby shelbel » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:07 pm

Does anyone know how you calculate your body fat percentage?? Not that i really think i want to know!! :D
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby milkyway » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Hi Shelley - to get an accurate reading you need to take measurements with skinfold calipers (it's a difficult calculation, but not impossible). You take a measurement of your tricep, hip, and shoulder blade. Some people do thigh, too, I think. I've had mine done at the gym and had to do my own in Year 12 PE.

My scales have a body fat and water% reading too. while I don't think it's 100% accurate, I just use it as a guide.

SarahC has her own calipers and takes measurements weekly, so she knows a lot more about this stuff than I do :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby shelbel » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:00 pm

Ok thanks, i'll ask her when she's next around, but that sounds abit too complex for me, maybe i'll just suck it up and buy some new scales that will do the hard work for me! :)
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby Ses » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:58 pm

The only really accurate way is in a pool! The skin calipers/pinch test is not very accurate (or so we have been taught). My scales do estimate a reading (tanita), but I am still a sceptic.........
[[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wg3ZtyW/]
[/url]
Ses

Return to Ask the Mob