It is currently Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:51 am

Free Newsletter

Family sabotaging weight loss efforts

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Family sabotaging weight loss efforts

Postby bear » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:51 pm

Does anyone find it difficult to stay on a diet while your husband or kids pig out on junk in front of you? Any suggestions to keep my will power UP?
bear

Postby lng86 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:09 pm

Yes, I understand exactly where you are coming from. It is extremely hard... And that is most probably the reason for so many overweight people failing when dieting.

I think the main thing you need to do in order to conquer temptation is to treat yourself using healthier choices. For example, if everyone in the family is having a hot chocolate - make yourself a jarrah. When my boyfriend is about to eat a bag of chips, I sometimes get myself a small bowl of pretzels. It is all about satisfying yourself whilst not destroying your own personal goals. Find what you enjoy... And use those things as a treat.

I'd love to hear other people's ideas on the subject.
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:24 pm

great suggestion lauren :)

i try to keep myself busy by knitting or getting online, keeping a bottle of water in my hands and sipping on it, doing puzzles in my magazines. it is hard but you will learn to say 'no' over time and you can make it clear to your family that you would prefer them to eat certain foods in a separate rooms or at certain times of the day. i remember reading that a woman on this forum made her hubby keep the junk food in his car and thats where it had to stay
kate_turner2000

Postby bear » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:43 am

Thanks for all the tips!! I'll keep it in mind!! Do you find it harder when it's that time of the month??
bear

Postby sassi » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:51 am

hell yes!

all of a sudden my appetite seems to double overnight and i crave chocolate and anything that has pretty much no nutritional value! i also lose energy in a major way.

i do find the healthier i eat, the less energy i lose & the better i cope overall.

and i agree that it is difficult to be strong. sometimes we get the healthy snack option and we both share that. other times i do more what lauren suggests & i have the healthy option while my bf eats the junk! other times i eat nothing & crack the sads :lol:
sassi

Postby BusyMum » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:07 pm

Just a tip re: that time of the month. I am usually too sick to worry about chocolate lol. But my neice gets major chocolate cravings and she read somewhere to try eating strawberries a few days before. For some reason that has worked for her and she no longer gets the cravings. Might be something that is worth a try.
Angela.
Mum to 2 girls, 22months, and 6 months.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiWIiQF/]
BusyMum

Postby bear » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:03 pm

Thanks!!! I'll keep it in mind!! Speaking of PMT,do all Men get it too?? Or am I just lucky to have struck out with my hubby??
bear

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:46 am

PMSL yep men get it too, i reckon in a way its like sympathy pains but we cop the brunt of it lol. that time of the month is the worst for me, my hormones are out of whack as it is so when my monthlies start i could start chewing on the wall LOL
kate_turner2000

Postby HappyBella55 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:26 am

BusyMum wrote:Just a tip re: that time of the month. I am usually too sick to worry about chocolate lol. But my neice gets major chocolate cravings and she read somewhere to try eating strawberries a few days before. For some reason that has worked for her and she no longer gets the cravings. Might be something that is worth a try.

interesting I will have to keep this in mind. When ms flow arrives (hehehe- sorry guys lame I know :P ) I could eat a small tribe of children and then some :P
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby bear » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:07 pm

"I could eat a small tribe of children and then some" LOL , Thank god I'm Normal!!!!! ( I'm so computer illiterate!!, my 5 year old can work it better than me!!)
bear

Postby bear » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:06 am

My eating has been awful this past week!!! :oops:

So today I try to get back on track!! And you know what hubby brings home for breakfast - maccas!! :evil:

I think he wants me to ease up on my diet as I'm so close to my goal weight ( about 2 kgs off). He bought me some and gets upset if I refuse! So I ate it and sipped the Coffee!!
I do WW so that Breakfast would have cost me 9 points ( I allow myself 18 points a day) :cry: :cry:
I am just so frightened to regain my weight and wake up to be 25kgs overweight again!! I know it won't happen after 1 or 2 nights of eating badly but I just want to get back on track!! :) after about 2.5 months of being very lax with my diet!! :oops:
bear

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:57 pm

*gives you a boot in the bum* hehehe :P Hey Sarah, at least you've recognised that you need to pull your socks up! You might need to have a lil chat with the hubby and say that you appreciate him thinking of you but that you don't want to eat that type of stuff! You're so close, don't give up now!! :)
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Schteve » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:41 pm

Yeah my gf has a fairly bad diet and eats a lot of junk. I seem to have the willpower to just say no most of the time. Don't take the time to think about what they have or what they are offering, because then you will start to crave it, without a thought just straight out say 'no, its not on my diet' and move on to something else. Thats what I say whenever my gf offers me chocolate and stuff.

As far as fast food goes, If I occasionally go for something like kfc or pizza with her I insist on bringing a bottle of water and not drinking soft drink, and make sure I drink lots of water around the time I'm eating it.
Schteve

KFC

Postby sami-j » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:31 am

I am so lucky, My husband is doing this with me!
But in the past he would sit there & eat KFC in front of me with the children. Though I found that if I ate my dinner before they returned home with their Junk, I felt much better about it! So I wasn't sitting there starving hungry smelling that! KFC smells sooooo good!
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." ..... Winston Churchill
sami-j

Postby bear » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:08 pm

I'm so bad at the moment- daydreaming about food!! I need to get out more!!

Altho KFC is awfully good and the smell!! YUM!!
Just ignore me!! And stay focussed!! :D
ImageImage
bear

Next

Return to Ask the Mob