It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:35 pm

Free Newsletter

Going under the knife

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Going under the knife

Postby Tatiana » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:40 pm

Hi guys, ever considered having like a liposuction or something to lose weight? if yes, what kind of procedures do you know?

Postby madeline » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:23 am

God no... and neither should you unless you've exhausted every other possible avenue. Even with things like gastric bypass, they're not the easy way out or the solution to your problems... there's a lifetime of exercise and diet after that. I'm sorry, but I think liposuction is an extreme surgery and is taken too lightly these days.
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:05 am

i read the other day in take 5 or womans day i cant remember which one but there was a girl who had i think the bypass thing and they didnt do it properly and she ended up starving to death.

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:30 am

now before I start, I would like to preface this by saying everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another.

However this is my thinking about surgery as it applies to ME. I only post this so you can undertand what my thinking is - I don't want to tell you to have or not to have surgery as I don't know your circumstances.

My choice would be not to have any surgical procedure unless I had given every possible thing a red hot go to get my weight down via diet and exercise, OR that I was extremely obese and ran the risk of very serious health issues or death if I did not get my weight down NOW type situation.

My reasoning for this is that surgery is not a quick fix IMHO. liposuction will get rid of excess fat, but if you don't learn new habits it will come back. Gastric bypass and lap banding are tools you can use but still require you to make changes to how/what you eat and you still need to exercise (I do actually know people who have had lap banding done and they emphasise this point). Ergo, if I were to go to surgery as anything other than a last resort, I feel that I personally would not get the experience of making the proper diet and exercise changes needed to make these work in the long run, making the surgery costly and ultimately ineffective. There are also the risks associated with any type of surgery of mishaps, anaesthetic problems (which are more likely in overweight people, but still low in Aus) or infection.

Cosmetic surgery following weightloss (such as to get rid of excess skin after quick and drastic loss) is a different matter and is still a personal choice. I personaly don't appear to have that issue so I wouldn't personally get that done.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Re: Going under the knife

Postby Will68 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:49 pm

Tatiana wrote:Hi guys, ever considered having like a liposuction or something to lose weight? if yes, what kind of procedures do you know?

Hi Tatiana

I agree with the others here. I've been reading up about the cambridge diet - it is tailored towards the morbid obese but they also cater for those needing only to lose a few kilo's.

This may be a safer solution then surgery.

Postby mimosa8 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:59 pm

I wouldnt recommend liposuction at all for weight loss. I had it done 4 years ago and before the surgery I overate thinking that I would have it all sucked off. When I got it done I was bruised all over and now have little cross mark scars where they pit in the canula. I was in so much pain after the surgery and I was swelled up for 6+ weeks and in that time I could have lost the weight through diet and exercise. They pump fluids into you so you are bloated up afterwards you put on 3-4kg .. also inactive during that time due to the surgery. after it all $10k down they had sucked 2ltr off me (2kg equivalent) not worth it. Lipodissolve not much nicer. they inject an area with 200 needles it stings and swells up for 4 weeks or so.. again diet adn exercise save your money.. you could use it towards a holliday or new clothes shopping.

Postby Chelle » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:15 pm

What do your family, friends & doctor think about this, are they supportive or are they like all the girl's including me on this forum think that having surgery done would be the last resort. I dont know anyone who had ever had it done before so I cant judge & tell you what not to do but if you go to a cosmetic surgon with the money then there are just going to take you money & not really care about you. It is a hard disicison to make but try exercise & eating right first go to a natropath or speak to your doctor on how to lose weight propely, before you go under the knife if that's what you have your mind set on.

Return to Ask the Mob