It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:11 pm

Free Newsletter

Please help

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Please help

Postby roxy09 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:31 pm

Hi everyone

I am wanting some help regarding weight loss / exercise.

I have never really had weight issues before, however over the last 2 years I have managed to put on approx 15-17 kgs.

I have looked into eating light n easy, going to weight watchers, however this is quite costly considering I am newly married.

I would like suggestions on what I should be eating, we eat alot of pasta, potatos, and naughty takeaway.

Also all my weight is on my stomach, hips, thighs, and I would greatly appreciate any exercise tips.

What in your opinions is an achievable timeframe to loose 15kgs?

Please help.

Postby electrongirl » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:42 pm

Hi and welcome.

May I suggest cutting back on the take aways and putting that money towards a weightloss program perhaps?

Weight Watchers Unlimited works out to be $14.95 a week and that includes unlimited meetings, use of all online tools plus other stuff.

Or there are other plans out there that don't cost alot.

The Calorie king website is free and you can track your calories there.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog:

Image Image

Postby lisa » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:48 pm

I have tried to cut out all processed food....for example lots of vegetables and some fruit and a small serving of lean protein at lunch and is cheap and good for the whole family....this is how I used to be thin prior to my chef husband fattening me up with rich dishes. I steer clear of pasta but on occassion I eat rice pasta which is easily digested and doesnt bloat you. Most important try to exercise most days...anything is good as long as your booty is moving!! :D

Ps: a great dressing to jazz up salad or veges is one tablespoon of light mayonaise and one of extra light sour cream mixed together...
instead of takeaway make pita bread pizzas as a with english spinach, mushrooms etc :P

Postby bear » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:06 pm

Hey there!! I have done Weight Watchers and have got great results!! I don't go to the meetings but follow their Mag - there is a 7 day meal plan in the centre of it!! Ido have their books tho!!
I reckon 8 months would be a reasonable time frame to lose 15 kgs. I lossed 20kgs in 7 months but I exercised like crazy - walked everyday for an hour at least. I then joined the gym and did all the classes! I think I over did it as my body has decided to call it quits! My PT said to think of your body as a triangle on one side is exercise, the other is diet and the other is Rest, if one is out of whack the Triangle falls over!! I think it's good advice!!
Good Luck with your weight loss journey!! :D

Postby sami-j » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:45 am

I'm with you Lisa!
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." ..... Winston Churchill

Postby Playboy_bunny » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:20 pm

me too, nice advice there lisa ;)

Postby rivenriver » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:05 pm

Hi! :)

The most you should expect to loose is 1kg per week, that's if you're really good at sticking to your plan. In the first week, you might loose 2 or even 3, cos your body gets really excited - it's not used to functioning with less! And you might loose extra if you get sick, but don't plan on that. It's not fun. So I would say the least amount of time would be about 4 months, but the slower you loose the more likely it'll stay off, so don't say it has to take that long.

With plans and stuff, you need to think about what will work for you. I don't have the time or the money to go to meetings. But some people find that environment really stimulating. Also there's the incentive that you're paying for it, so you'd better make the most of it, and the group weigh-ins, well, you don't wanna be embarrassed, so you might try harder. There are shake plans and stuff, but would you get bored with only eating milkshakes? Would it suit your family? Counting works well for some people - you take the time to write down everything you ate, assign everything a number (calories, or points with the WW plan), and only eat a certain number each day. I generally can't be bothered to though - I forget. Would you? There's a website called that a lot of people here use - it's good stuff, makes it easy, plus it's free. If that will work for you, that is.

Personally, how I work is by knowing stuff about what I eat and what I need. You can learn it through magazines, books, the internet, packets, etc (though don't automatically trust everything you read, even if Dr So-and-So says it, especially if they're trying to sell you something). Pretty quickly, you get a feel for the right and wrong foods to be eating, and the amounts. Some people have trouble with this, or like to be more precise, that's why they use counting methods and such.

You just have to do some research and think about what's going to work for you. And there's no reason you can't try a few different things before you decide. Shop around. ;)

Good luck!

Postby Ledzeppelin2007 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:19 pm

mate i've been there. i tried running for a month afew times a week and drinking heaps of water, than i joined a gym. In chemisrty class we were learning all about fats and protiens and Kj's and that so that was handy :D so after looking up about whats good for u and how much u shoiuld be eatting a day [kj wise] i started a small diet and joined a gym, joined 3 weeks ago and have already lost 3.2 kgs :D, u'll looking to lose around .5-1kg a week. i got 3 times a week and some small tips are drink heaps of water, have a balnce of food, muscles help ur metabolism and get heaps of sleep. and excerise with mates and that cos its great stuff. sorry bout all my spelling.. cheers mate
Keep it real

Return to Ask the Mob