It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:52 pm

Free Newsletter

Young and in the dark.

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Young and in the dark.

Postby Bonham91 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:11 am

So I'm a 16 year old male, who isnt very happy with his body. It really sucks seeing all my mates happy to take off their shirt at the beach, as they are all slim. I want to be like this eventually, but i have no idea how to get started losing weight!

I don't want to tell my parents that i am doing this, so procuring suitable food might be a bit hard without going out and buying it myself. (any recommendations on what to eat would be greatly appreciated)

Exercise is pretty easy, i play tons of sports, and plan to take up running in the mornings. Is there a set amount i should exercise each week, and could too much be harmful?

Any helpful, realistic tips for a 16 year old kid who wants to lose weight would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:48 am

hey bonham welcome to the group :) can i just ask why you dont want to tell your parents? i find that if you tell the people you are living with it might make it easier for them in regards to cooking and eating certain things when theyre in your company. however i can appreciate that you are happy to go at it on your own too. all i can suggest is to eat breakfast as it kickstarts the metabolism. drink water it helps to flush the system. dont drink soft drink or if you do make it a diet kind. when eating meals with your family aim to leave some food on your plate. sometimes families dish out massive portions and you are made to feel like you have to eat it all. start out by going for walks and then build it up to add some aerobics/cardio style work outs and longer more brisk walks/jogs.

best wishes and sing out if you need anything. try and write down a food diary of everything you eat so you feel more accountable :)

Postby HappyBella55 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:35 am

I suggest you pay a visit to You can input all your stats and it will design a program of how many cals you should consume and how much exercise to do. It's a great tool to use.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!

Return to Ask the Mob