It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:03 am

Free Newsletter

What to do, and how to stick to it

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

What to do, and how to stick to it

Postby Schteve » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:54 pm

G'day, its been a bit over a week since I joined here and made my intro post. In the first three days, I drank mountains of water, ate very little and did a reasonable amount of exercise. I dropped 3-4 kilos from 85 to ~82! (my scales aren't perfect). Obviously I can't keep not eating, and now I'm hovering around 81-83. But I'm finding it difficult to stick to eating well and exercising.

I have maintained drinking mostly water, and keeping a bottle of water near me at all times, probably drinking 2-3 litres a day (and peeing heaps more haha) which I thought would be hard, considering up until now I've been a daily coke drinker for years. And I've knocked back food like pancakes a few times and snack less, but still had fast food once or twice.

What do you eat when you are feeling hungry? I have a fast metabolism, so tend to get hungry again only a few hours after a meal and suffer a bit from low blood sugar levels. Something like muesli bars ok? Most likely better than chips and frozen food anyway.

I haven't really kept a schedule for exercising either. I started with 30 situps and 20 pushups, but sprained my wrist last week so can't do pushups now.. I feel the burn in my stomach after the situps though, which is good.

Is it true that exercising right before bed is a bad idea? I heard that from someone, I can't remember the reason though.

I don't really know what I should be eating for breakfast and lunch either. I've been having cereal or bacon and eggs for breakfast so far, improvement on the junk I used to eat. Sandwiches for lunch?

So yeah. Just trying to get a bit of direction and routine going to try to help keep things on track. I'm aiming to lose about 10 kilos as soon as possible and get more muscles in shoulders, arms and stomach. I play 2.5-3.5 hours of volleyball a week and 2-3 hours of soccer as well, plus a bit of tennis occasionally.
Schteve
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:55 pm
Location: Adelaide

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:26 am

hey schteve well done on the loss. the water will be doing wonders for you :)

you can eat things like nuts and dried fruit (just watch the portion sizes), crackers with a topping, fruit, vegie sticks and dip, cherry tomatoes, a boiled egg, some ham.

as for exercising before bedtime, a lot of people say nay or yay. what i have been told by a Personal Trainer is that the fact of the matter is is that you are doing exercise- so no matter what time of the day it is, you are doing SOMETHING at WHATEVER TIME. i fit most of my exercise in at night when my toddler is in bed because thats the only time i can do it.
User avatar
kate_turner2000
 
Posts: 13910
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:59 am
Location: Central Coast NSW

Postby Ledzeppelin2007 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:19 pm

i like to make simply wheat sandwhich, low fat cheese, thin slice of ham, lettuce. i myself prefer the bread toasted too. i use to drink heaps of coke too back in the day.. been a water drinker for a month now and have an occasional coffee and tea. Soon joining a gym which will be great cos it mixes up just jogging and simply weights. Goodluck mate on ya weightloss
Keep it real
Ledzeppelin2007
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:50 pm

Postby bear » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:21 pm

Hey if you are lost with what you should be eating - I love Weight Watchers!! :D
If you just grab a WW mag, there is a 7 day meal plan in the centre! it's based on points! They are 20 points a day but since you are about 80kgs you would need to eat more than 20points anyway have a look just to get some ideas!! They have really good ideas for Breakfast, lunch and Dinner too!!
Sounds like you are doing heaps of exercise through sport which is great cos it's also fun!!!
I think I read somewhere about exercising late at night can affect you getting to sleep!! I used to exercise at night but still managed to get to sleep around 10pm no prob!! Guess it depends on your body!!
That's great about drinking Water!! I know I need to drink more!!
Hope I helped! :D
bear
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: NSW

Re: What to do, and how to stick to it

Postby help6363 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:07 pm

Schteve wrote:G'day, its been a bit over a week since I joined here and made my intro post. In the first three days, I drank mountains of water, ate very little and did a reasonable amount of exercise. I dropped 3-4 kilos from 85 to ~82! (my scales aren't perfect). Obviously I can't keep not eating, and now I'm hovering around 81-83. But I'm finding it difficult to stick to eating well and exercising.

I have maintained drinking mostly water, and keeping a bottle of water near me at all times, probably drinking 2-3 litres a day (and peeing heaps more haha) which I thought would be hard, considering up until now I've been a daily coke drinker for years. And I've knocked back food like pancakes a few times and snack less, but still had fast food once or twice.

What do you eat when you are feeling hungry? I have a fast metabolism, so tend to get hungry again only a few hours after a meal and suffer a bit from low blood sugar levels. Something like muesli bars ok? Most likely better than chips and frozen food anyway.

I haven't really kept a schedule for exercising either. I started with 30 situps and 20 pushups, but sprained my wrist last week so can't do pushups now.. I feel the burn in my stomach after the situps though, which is good.

Is it true that exercising right before bed is a bad idea? I heard that from someone, I can't remember the reason though.

I don't really know what I should be eating for breakfast and lunch either. I've been having cereal or bacon and eggs for breakfast so far, improvement on the junk I used to eat. Sandwiches for lunch?

So yeah. Just trying to get a bit of direction and routine going to try to help keep things on track. I'm aiming to lose about 10 kilos as soon as possible and get more muscles in shoulders, arms and stomach. I play 2.5-3.5 hours of volleyball a week and 2-3 hours of soccer as well, plus a bit of tennis occasionally.


Hey! :D

I count calories and eat six times a day. I keep snacks around that I can eat without blowing my diet.....diet jelly, diet lollies, celery sticks, carrots and so forth.

There is a good site called Spark People (can I write this here?) and they can tell you your calorie range and suggested menus for FREE! For breakfast...it varies, I have either crumpets or ceral or oatmeal. Mid morning snack.... fruit. Lunch...... tuna, salad, bread OR a sandwich with ham and salad. Afternoon snack...yogurt OR fruit.

Also, once a week I have fast food and count it into my calories.

Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope you are feeling better soon.

I look forward to reading your success story in the near future. :D
help6363
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:12 am

Postby Schteve » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:57 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. I might have to check out Weight Watchers.

Cereal and sandwiches is different (and less) than what I'm used to, but I'm getting used to it. Is there a certain amount of calories you should be eating per day? Or is it more a matter of burning more than you consume? I'm 176cm and 80-81 kilos.

I've been trying to find activities that burn the most amount of calories in the least amount of time, since my days are usually fairly busy. So far it seems sprinting burns the most, so running up and down a soccer pitch is good but my volleyball probably isn't doing heaps.

bear wrote:I think I read somewhere about exercising late at night can affect you getting to sleep!!


Ahh thats right. Increases adrenaline and makes it hard to get to sleep. I'm trying to get my situps done at least an hour before I go to bed, just in case.

Is there any kind of warm up you should do before situps or pushups? I've just been launching straight into them.
Schteve
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:55 pm
Location: Adelaide

Postby rivenriver » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:30 pm

Hullo Schteve :)

I'm new here too, but I think I can give you sme ideas. :)

First thing to remember (I think) is that 3-4kg in a week is AWESOME, but it's not going to happen again, unless you get sick or something. This is cos your body gets really excited when you first start to diet. It adjusts itself to how much you eat, and when you suddenly start eating less, BOOM - you drop heaps. But that's only for the first week. After that, you shouldn't be expecting to loose more than 1kg per week. Keep that in mind, and don't worry if you only loose 0.5kg or something. I liike digital scales - that way I can say well, I only lost 0.2kg this week, but hey, it's something. With the normal kind, you can't tell, and it seems like nothing, and then I dispair. ;)

Fast food is fine, you've just got to avoid the deep fried things. Try subway or something instead. My rules with fast food is it's okay if I can't see the grease and it's not too processed. If it's been deep fried, that's bad. Pastery, also bad. Pies, where you can see the glisten of the fat on the meat, bad. But something like a hamburger (not a chain one, but a milkbar-style-shop type one), where there is grease on the meat ut it's not excessive, and it also has heaps of lettuce and tomatoe and beetroot and stuff, is totally fine. Cos it fills you up too. Sometimes you need fast food, and anyway, you need a certain ammount of fat to function anyway. You can't have it everyday, but once a week is fine.

You mentioned muesli bars - I think they're great. Don't get the ultra-processed ones, get things like the uncle toby's chewy ones, that are mostly oats. Oats are brilliant, cos they're not refined, so your body has to work harder to digest them, so you're fuller for longer. Obviously you can't eat 5, but if you eat one slowly, it should be fine.

Try to snack (but healthily) so that you're not hungry. If you're hungry, you won't be happy, and soon you'll get over not being happy and give up, cos who wants to be miserable? Find good snacks that make you feel full-ish, and eat smaller meals. Eat less, more often. A lot of people eat 6 or 7 meals a day, and it really works for them. Keeps you full, so you don't have weak moments.

For breakfast, cereal is good. Try and avoid bacon and eggs. Pig meat (any sort) is really fatty by nature, and bacon and eggs is generally fried in a way that it hangs onto it's grease a lot. Find a cereal you like, with bits in it that aren't totally processed (not like nutrigrain, more like just right). But eat a serving size, not a bowl full. Go for skim milk, if you can. I trained myself to eat it be mixing it half-half with full cream. If you just go a little bit more skim each time, you don't really notice as the taste changes, and it's fine. Also eat fruit. The awesome thing aboutr fruit is that our bodys have a really hard time digesting fresh fruit and vegies, cos there's really not a lot in them. So you can eat a pile, fill up your belly so it's busy and doesn't bother you, and more of it will end up in the toilet. ;)

For lunch, I like salad sandwitches, sometimes with a bit of cold meat or cheese. It's good cos the bread feels like you're eating good stuff, the salad fills you up, but all up there's not that much to it. Anything with plenty of fresh is good, like you could take a salad in a box or something, with bits of chicken or a dressing.

I think the most important thing about eating is learning which foods work, and how much you can eat of eat. Like eat as much fruit and veg as possible, eat but limit complex carbohydrates like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, eat meat or cheese or something every so often, and avoid grease and processed food. (Processed food is bad in two ways - first your body has less to do so it finishes digesting quickly and then wants more to do, but also cos your body expends energy digesting food, so if you give it unprocessed food it has to work harder and you burn calories while digesting. Cool, huh?)

I reckon you should buy a magazine or two. Don't get one that's trying to sell you things, cos often the substitutes they offer and not very good for you (like if you're going to splurge and have chocolate mousse, why would you want diet brand not-so-tasty mousse? It can't be a regular part of your food plan in either way.) Get one that's non-branded, and reead up about food and what different people reckon is good and bad. Also remember not to believe everything you read. Just because Dr X says it doesn't mean it's generally accepted, doesn't mean they're right, and doesn't mean it's the case for you. Be critical.

Yes, there is a certain number of caories you should eat per day, and yes, it is just burn more than you consume. You burn a certain number of calories by just sleeping, walking, talking, breathing, etc. I think it's about 1800 per day, but don't quote me. Some people like to count how many calories they eat per day, and make sure it's less than that, meaning they loose weight. (weight watchers replaces calories with points, which is why you have about 20 points per day on their plan.) Some people don't bother, they just go by feel. Either is good, it's what works for you.

Oh, and exercise-wise, anything that gets your heart rate up burns calories. Anything that makes your muscles yell builds muscle. Generally, anyway. So you won't loose much weight doing situps, but you'll make your tummy nice to look at, and be stronger because of it.

I hope that's been helpful for you!!!!!!!

...now, if I could only do all this myself...
User avatar
rivenriver
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:35 pm
Location: Snowy Mountains

Postby dietcoke » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:43 pm

Yeah I agree with Kate. It doesn't really matter what time you exercise as long as you do it in the first place. The only problem for me with exercising before bed is that I get to stimulated and can't sleep.
Image
dietcoke
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:58 pm

Postby Chief » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:03 pm

rivenriver wrote:Hullo Schteve :)

I'm new here too, but I think I can give you sme ideas. :)

First thing to remember (I think) is that 3-4kg in a week is AWESOME, but it's not going to happen again, unless you get sick or something. This is cos your body gets really excited when you first start to diet. It adjusts itself to how much you eat, and when you suddenly start eating less, BOOM - you drop heaps. But that's only for the first week. After that, you shouldn't be expecting to loose more than 1kg per week. Keep that in mind, and don't worry if you only loose 0.5kg or something. I liike digital scales - that way I can say well, I only lost 0.2kg this week, but hey, it's something. With the normal kind, you can't tell, and it seems like nothing, and then I dispair. ;)

Fast food is fine, you've just got to avoid the deep fried things. Try subway or something instead. My rules with fast food is it's okay if I can't see the grease and it's not too processed. If it's been deep fried, that's bad. Pastery, also bad. Pies, where you can see the glisten of the fat on the meat, bad. But something like a hamburger (not a chain one, but a milkbar-style-shop type one), where there is grease on the meat ut it's not excessive, and it also has heaps of lettuce and tomatoe and beetroot and stuff, is totally fine. Cos it fills you up too. Sometimes you need fast food, and anyway, you need a certain ammount of fat to function anyway. You can't have it everyday, but once a week is fine.

You mentioned muesli bars - I think they're great. Don't get the ultra-processed ones, get things like the uncle toby's chewy ones, that are mostly oats. Oats are brilliant, cos they're not refined, so your body has to work harder to digest them, so you're fuller for longer. Obviously you can't eat 5, but if you eat one slowly, it should be fine.

Try to snack (but healthily) so that you're not hungry. If you're hungry, you won't be happy, and soon you'll get over not being happy and give up, cos who wants to be miserable? Find good snacks that make you feel full-ish, and eat smaller meals. Eat less, more often. A lot of people eat 6 or 7 meals a day, and it really works for them. Keeps you full, so you don't have weak moments.

For breakfast, cereal is good. Try and avoid bacon and eggs. Pig meat (any sort) is really fatty by nature, and bacon and eggs is generally fried in a way that it hangs onto it's grease a lot. Find a cereal you like, with bits in it that aren't totally processed (not like nutrigrain, more like just right). But eat a serving size, not a bowl full. Go for skim milk, if you can. I trained myself to eat it be mixing it half-half with full cream. If you just go a little bit more skim each time, you don't really notice as the taste changes, and it's fine. Also eat fruit. The awesome thing aboutr fruit is that our bodys have a really hard time digesting fresh fruit and vegies, cos there's really not a lot in them. So you can eat a pile, fill up your belly so it's busy and doesn't bother you, and more of it will end up in the toilet. ;)

For lunch, I like salad sandwitches, sometimes with a bit of cold meat or cheese. It's good cos the bread feels like you're eating good stuff, the salad fills you up, but all up there's not that much to it. Anything with plenty of fresh is good, like you could take a salad in a box or something, with bits of chicken or a dressing.

I think the most important thing about eating is learning which foods work, and how much you can eat of eat. Like eat as much fruit and veg as possible, eat but limit complex carbohydrates like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, eat meat or cheese or something every so often, and avoid grease and processed food. (Processed food is bad in two ways - first your body has less to do so it finishes digesting quickly and then wants more to do, but also cos your body expends energy digesting food, so if you give it unprocessed food it has to work harder and you burn calories while digesting. Cool, huh?)

I reckon you should buy a magazine or two. Don't get one that's trying to sell you things, cos often the substitutes they offer and not very good for you (like if you're going to splurge and have chocolate mousse, why would you want diet brand not-so-tasty mousse? It can't be a regular part of your food plan in either way.) Get one that's non-branded, and reead up about food and what different people reckon is good and bad. Also remember not to believe everything you read. Just because Dr X says it doesn't mean it's generally accepted, doesn't mean they're right, and doesn't mean it's the case for you. Be critical.

Yes, there is a certain number of caories you should eat per day, and yes, it is just burn more than you consume. You burn a certain number of calories by just sleeping, walking, talking, breathing, etc. I think it's about 1800 per day, but don't quote me. Some people like to count how many calories they eat per day, and make sure it's less than that, meaning they loose weight. (weight watchers replaces calories with points, which is why you have about 20 points per day on their plan.) Some people don't bother, they just go by feel. Either is good, it's what works for you.

Oh, and exercise-wise, anything that gets your heart rate up burns calories. Anything that makes your muscles yell builds muscle. Generally, anyway. So you won't loose much weight doing situps, but you'll make your tummy nice to look at, and be stronger because of it.

I hope that's been helpful for you!!!!!!!

...now, if I could only do all this myself...


That was really informative, thanks heaps for writting that up. Its just what i've been wanting to read/find out.
Yes i'm a bloke
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wr2WOoy/]
Image
[/url]
User avatar
Chief
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:41 am

Postby Schteve » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:11 am

Thanks rivenriver, thats a great reply. I'm thinking Barnacle Bill's burger instead of pizza on nights I get takeaway, and I've already cut out HJ's and maccas completely. I've been eating special K and wheat bix for cereal.

rivenriver wrote:So you won't loose much weight doing situps, but you'll make your tummy nice to look at, and be stronger because of it


Thats ok, the main motivation that got me starting to want to lose weight was my stomach getting a bit big. Even if I lose no weight, but tone my stomach I'd be happy, I'm not really that fat.

Thanks for your reply again. :) And of course for the other replies, it helps keep me motivated. :)
Schteve
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:55 pm
Location: Adelaide


Return to Ask the Mob

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron