It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:57 pm

Free Newsletter

Sauna

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Sauna

Postby Ledzeppelin2007 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:53 pm

at my gym there is a Sauna. today after my warm up, weights, cardio, warm down, i had a swim for 20mins. thort i might jump in the sauna to at the least have a good convo bout the footy with a stranger :D but it was wondering how and if it actually helps. The PT that showed me it didnt go into much details, just something about getting rid of the toxins? after the sauna i jumped in the spa for 10min than got changed and took a 15min walk home. it was actually quite a good gym session. my mate i started goin with [since yesterday] had other plans and i was abit reluctant to go by myself [and it was raining and i dont have my P's yet], but i self motivated myself and when i got there at the gym i saw my chemistry teacher on the treadmill so we talked and it was just us two [sml gym] and yeah it was great. glad i went cos i hate regrets >.<.. but more to the point about the sauna any words would be greatful.. cheers
Keep it real
Ledzeppelin2007

Postby Chelle » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:12 pm

I dont know much about sauna's other that it makes you sweat & realise toxin's in your body. Not much help sorry.
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:58 pm

I WAS TOLD BY A SWIMMING TEACHER THATS ITS BAD FOR YOU TO GO FROM THE POOL TO THE SAUNA AND THE SAUNA TO THE POOL.
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:28 pm

I'm not sure if the detox benefits are all that great, because the amount you sweat isn't that much (it can't hurt though!!). I think the best benefit is, if you've had a hard training session, it stops you from getting sore muscles the next day :)
SarahC

Postby electrongirl » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:02 pm

something I found on the net:

Sauna enthusiasts laud the health benefits of "sweat baths," attributing them with healing, preventative, and cleansing properties. The sauna of Finland is a tradition that some researchers date back over two thousand years. The Finns attribute their endurance and longevity to the tradition of sauna.

Basically, what happens to the body during a sauna is quite simple — your metabolism and pulse rates increase, your blood vessels become much more flexible, and your extremities benefit from increased circulation. Physical fitness fans will recognize that some of these changes can also be achieved through strenuous exercise. Not to say that a sauna would put you in excellent physical condition without moving a muscle (don't some of us wish!), but that it brings about the same metabolic results as physical exercise.

The effects of the sauna are numerous and varied. Proponents of dry heat bath mention a feeling of psychological peace and contentment as well as physical rejuvenation. Many people claim that the sauna relieves the symptoms of minor illnesses such as colds, revives the muscles after tough physical exertion, and clears the complexion. The sauna experience will often leave you feeling very much alive. Your senses will be sharpened, and your tactile sensitivity heightened.

Another aspect of the sauna that needs to be considered is your mental state prior to taking one. Many people attest to the healing powers of the sauna concerning mental depression and anxiety. They say that after leaving the sauna, the mind is in a relaxed, lucid state, free of the worries of the everyday world. Also, when the body feels soothed and energized, the mind and emotions often follow suit.

Some basic tips before entering the sauna:

Don't drink alcohol, as it works as a depressant, where the blood is moving slowly and the nerve endings are literally shutting down, and counteracts the benefits of the sauna.
Older people need to avoid or limit their time in the sauna.
People with heart ailments or respiratory diseases need to avoid the sauna, and anyone with chronic ailments needs to check first with his or her doctor.
Don't eat prior to the sauna.
Avoid drug use and the sauna — tranquilizers, stimulants, and other prescribed drugs alter the body's metabolism and could produce dour effects in the heat.
If you experience dizziness, problems with breathing, or a general feeling of ill health, leave the sauna immediately.
If you do decide to use the sauna, start gradually. Stay in only as long as you are comfortable, increasing the time with each visit. The Finns respect the sauna to such a degree that their ministers of government often conduct business in and around the sauna. They also believe that a person, upon leaving a fulfilling sauna, will be clear of mind and untroubled. Who knows? This may be Columbia's best and cheapest stress reduction technique yet!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Rustie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:43 pm

Make sure you drink loads of water!! The first time i went into the sauna it excellerated my sore throat! ANd that killed for days. Saunas release the toxins in the skin..

SW: 80kg
CW: 78.5kg
GW: 60kg
Rustie

Return to Ask the Mob