It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:44 pm

Free Newsletter

Help with weight loss :(

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Help with weight loss :(

Postby scarkk » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:33 am

Hi,
I am 16 and a little overweight, i know this from looking at how other people my age and etc are when at the beach or another place like this. I am looking to shed a good 5-10kgs as fast as possible :)

174cm in height
Current weight 76kg
Age 16

I have school daily and when i get home i dont really have time to do much so is there any combination of situps or something i could do along with a diet that would be the best combo?

Help :)
scarkk

Postby milkyway » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:45 am

Hullo and welcome to the forum :)

Try not to think of this as shedding the weight as quickly as possible, think of it as creating a healthy lifestyle you can live with forever. Healthy weightloss is about .5 to 1kg per week (although you may lose more per week when you start out but that's mostly due to fluid loss).

Join the website http://www.calorieking.com.au and work out how many calories you're eating per day and how many you should be eating.

Get as much incidental (e.g. walking to school) and deliberate (power walking after school) exercise each day.

There's a whole range of resistance exercises you can do such as sit ups, push ups, tricep dips, squats and lunges. Have a look in the "exercise talk" forum for more ideas :)

For weightloss, it's important to have a combination of cardio, healthy diet (& portion control) and weights.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Mandie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:58 pm

hey, welcome to the forum :)

you're not actually that overweight, but all of us can stand to get healthier and it's good that you want to do something about it while you are young and not too overweight :)

tracking calories on calorieking can be a good idea just to get an idea of how many calories you do consume etc.. generally eating more fruits and vegetables and less junk is always a good idea too :)

exercise wise - walking/jogging or some other form of cardiovascular exercise is good to do daily if possible or at the minimum, 20 minutes three times a week. try to increase your incidental exercise by getting off the bus a stop early and walking the rest of the way, or taking the stairs as much as possible, etc

it's good to do strengthening/conditioning exercises as well, like sit ups, push ups, squats, lunges etc - you can find some good info on this site

best of luck :)
Mandie

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:07 am

Hi and welcome to the fourm! The advice above is fantastic! I know at 16 life is all about looking good and being able to fit in, but really exercise and weight loss should be about health, not looks. Try to focus on that and avoid any extremes like starving yourself which does more damage than good.

Just sensible changes you can incorporate into your life will make the world of difference. Have an apple in your lunch instead of chips, get off the bus a few stops early a walk some of the way to/from school. Maybe join a sports team? If you have a bike, I highly recommend cycling :wink:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Ask the Mob