It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Free Newsletter

From Nothing to Runner - inspirational stories please!

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

From Nothing to Runner - inspirational stories please!

Postby flutterby » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:59 pm

Hi there

I am wanting to start running, and am starting the C25K tomorrow.

I'm looking for inspirational stories of people how went from no excercise to a runner! :)
SW: 106.8kg CW: 100.3kg Total Lost: 6.5kg

Goal 1: Under 100kg
flutterby

Postby JP1 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:37 pm

Just a tip but unless your dead set on taking up running straight up, why not try walking at first, especially if its fairly new to you or haven't done it for a long time. You can always progress to running once you have got your programme underway.

I have been walking now for six weeks and eventually want to start running again but in the meantime I have gone from walking about 5k in an hour up to 8.5k in 75mins and plan on increasing it further.

I'm pretty sure I can't run for over half an hour at the most so in favt I am expending more energy by walking fast than I would if I ran because the difference isn't that great anyway at the rate of speed I'm now walking at and I can obviously walk for a lot longer than I can run.

Up to you of course and good luck.
JP1

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:56 pm

Yep, walking to start with helps.

I started at 110kg with gentle walking progressing to a little jogging. Then I got my bike and lost the bulk of 35kg.

I recently ran 97% ish of 10km in 1hr 19min, just 9min over my goal. This was my first ever proper run.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby milkyway » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:01 pm

I wouldn't say I went from no exercise to be a runner... but I did go from shuffling my way through a few hundred metres before getting out of breath and feeling too tired to go on to regularly running 4km, 5km, 8km and now 10km :) I once even ran a 15km race without stopping, which totally shocked me. Couldn't walk for a week afterwards... so I definitely recommend a slow build up to avoid injury :)

I am now aiming to get my 10km time under 60 mins my 5km under 30 mins and I have started a half marathon training - I will do my first half mara in the first half of next year - probably some time between April - June. Haven't picked my race just yet.

The most amazing thing I discovered was that I had it in me to run, I just didn't know it. I started the C25km program and quickly realised that I could actually run 5km without stopping! About 80% is mental and the rest is physical. It's all about having the confidence to push through the initial discomfort and bring on that euphoric runner's high ;)

All the best with your C25km program. Keep us updated on your progress :D
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Kittie » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:34 pm

I have also started the c25k program and I am on my first week. I hope to really nail this and GET FIT!
HW: 74kg
GW1: 70kg
GW2: 65kg
Height: 165cm
Kittie

Postby dannyboi » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:38 pm

I tried running, from no excercise at all, and that really stuffed me up for the week! Doing walks to the shops now, as opposed to catching the train (Punchbowl to Bankstown in Sydney if anyone knows).

You actually feel a lot better after doign the walk. Hopefully, I'll reach a point where I can start jogging and then running.
- danny
dannyboi

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:35 am

I echo starting with power-walking before running. That way you can build up your cardiovascular fitness in preparation.

The advice that worked for me when I started running was to run as slowly as humanly possible. I'd tried running for a certain number of minutes then walking for a certain number of minutes, but that didn't really work for me. I just didn't enjoy it. But running slowly was great. Every so often when you notice how slowly you're going rather than speeding up, slow down more. Sure, you get overtaken by power-walkers, and you feel a bit stupid, but it's great for building endurance if you haven't run before. And it makes running enjoyable, which I found to be the most important aspect of keeping up training! I found in next to no time I was running 5km non-stop.

Unfortunately I've had issues with plantar fasciitis during this time (I got it before I started running) so I've had to take long periods off intermittently. So my other advice is to get fitting with proper shoes before you start! A running forum I'm a member of advises going to a sports podiatrist who will analyse how you run and tell you the most appropriate shoes to buy. Given how vital your knees and feet are for most forms of exercise it's worth the added investment. I wish I'd done it before I stuffed my feet up three years ago!

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby robbo78 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:34 pm

Hi - Anything is possible if you train sufficiently.

Within 18 months i went from 162kg (male at 189cm), to running the melbourne marathon this october (42.2km run in 3hr54min). My weight at the end of the marathon was 89kg. It took me approx 12 months to loose the weight (mainly from bike riding) and then i started running. In jan of this year i could run approx 4-5km so i just built up from the there

1st fun run was run4kids (15.2km) then age run to the g half marathon (21.1km) and then the melbourne mararthon (my 3rd fun run lol :-) ; but seriously, for me it was all a mind game getting up at 5am in the morning to run laps of the tan (trained up to 70km running for the 3 months leading up to the event) is not everyones cups of tea.

My motivation was a fatty liver, no energy, and the fact i knew i was mentally strong. I did not weight myself for ages and one day i did and a male at the age of 27 weighing a cool 162.2kg was scary so i got off my arse and did something about it ! Signed up for the around the bay ride (210km ride), kept up a reasonable diet, cut back of the booze and away i went !
robbo78

Postby Fireball » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:57 am

That's fantastic Robbo. You have motivated me. I was thinking about running our Bay City Fun Run 12km. (I think about it every year and then I don't do it.) Well this year I will do it. I will!

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Return to Exercise Talk