It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:15 am

Free Newsletter

CYCLING

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

CYCLING

Postby loveat116 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:04 am

Hello :D

From Monday, I will be riding to and from work every day. A few questions.

1. What kind of back pack should I use?
2. What kind of clothes are best for Bike riding? I want minimal clothing because then its quick to get on and off
3. How do I deal with traffic? I will be riding through peak traffic

Thanks!
I CANT WAIT!!
hehe... im thinking of all the petrol money i will save
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:24 am

If you can get a set of panniers (the ones that clip onto a bike pack rack) they're fab. If not, try and get a backpack that allows air to circulate to your back, otherwise your back gets sweaty and yuck.

As far as cothing, I just wear a t-shirt, trackpants tucked oh so stylishy into my socks or shorts (you could wear those tights if you want), and a zip up light cotton stretch jumper thing for this time of year in the mornings. If you really want to go all out you can get into the cylcing gear, but it's expensive!!

My advice, invest in some good riding gloves with padding for the nerve in your palm/through the wrist.

Riding in traffic - you'll probably ride on the bike track to around Zero Davey, not sure where your work is, but in peak hour, unless you're really confident and can keep up with traffic fairly well, I'd avoid the main arterials as it can get a bit hairy on them.

It's legal in Tas to ride on the footpath but pedestrians have right of way. Or if you ride on the roads, you legally have the right to take a whole lane since you are legally a vehicle. It is much safer to be assertive and do this if you ride on the road. Try and signal your intentions with hand signals and obey the road rules and you should be fine. remember you can't ride on footpath in the mall or bus mall (or anywhere else they have signs saying you can't). Just keep your wits about you in traffic and be aware of what's going on...don't have headphones.

I'm happy to catch up with you for a ride one day and give you some tips if you like!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby loveat116 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:41 am

Thanks Tegan!

I think once I get my bike fixed on Saturday I might do a test run to my work and back.

And I reckon I will go long tights, I think id get too hot in trackpants, especially in this hot weather! And a tshirt or gym top.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:44 am

yeah, I often wear trackies in the mornings (not quite warm enough for shorts at 7am) and then roll them up into shorts for the ride home. A lot of people I see wear those tights though.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Sas » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:47 am

Yes definitely don't have headphones and don't ride on teh wrong side of the road!!!

I was driving the other day and was looking right for cars and started to take off and this bike came out from a bike path on the left and I almost hit her. She mouther sorry as she kept riding... she had headphones on so probs didn't even hear my car there.

Like I said to DH she would have been sorry if i hit her! Some people are very silly when they ride...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:57 am

yep...that's what can happen. One of the bloke's work colleages was riding down Macquarie St and hugging the gutter being passive and trying to be nice to all those cars that would have got mad and tooted her for taking up a lane. Due to ths she was in the turning left lane but was going straight ahead (so doing the wrong thing by the rules). She got cleaned up by a car turning left.

it IS intimidating to ride on the road and drivers can be doofuses and often quite rude and obnoxious, but it does pay to follow the rules and be aware of what's going on.

By the sounds of your story, they were crossing the road you were on from a footpath to the other side of the footpath or onto the road while you were turning left onto a main rd or entering a roundabout??? (it's so hard to describe these things in words!) If that's the case she'd have been blind not to see you and probably didn't think you were going to take off?

Either way, slowing down for any intersection is ALWAYS a good idea and checking what's there

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Sas » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:18 am

yeah I was coming out of a side street between buildings and was looking right to go onto the main road and she came from the left from behind a building. Just lucky i was going slowly and slammed the breaks on quickly enough.

Like I said never ride down the wrong side of the road cause people aren't looking that way and won't see you like in my situation. I was just amazed at how relaxed about it she was. She just smiled and mouthed sorry and was on her way! I was a little shaken from it...

I ride a lot too and yeah you are right Tegan just be assertive and aware and remember you are a veahicle too so you have to follow the same rules as the cars :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby oostevens » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:38 am

i can't ride to work :( it takes me over an hr somedays just to drive the car. and its all highway driving.

if i had a bike and an area to ride in, i would :( but i dont

you guys will have to ride extra hard for me :p
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Return to Exercise Talk