It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:39 pm

Free Newsletter

How much is enough?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

How much is enough?

Postby emma21 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:00 pm

How much exercise is regarded as 'enough' per day? Some books say 30 mins, some say an hour... What do people in here aim to do each day?

Emma :)

Postby Serena » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:30 pm

I think they recommend 20-30 minutes to stay healthy but I guess if you've got a lot of weight to lose the more the better, within reason of course. I've just started a gym program and I do 40 minutes of cardio every weekday, and weights 3 times a week. I think with cardio though, quality is very important and you should try to work out at an intensity that challenges your body. For example, you'll get a lot more benefit from 20 minutes of walking up and down hills than you would from a 20 minute stroll around the park. I'm finding the amount I'm doing quite tiring but I'm thinking that my body ought to adjust quite quickly and hopefully in a couple of weeks I might start adding some workouts at home. I have a pretty good collection of tae-bo, pilates and yoga videos and they challenge your body in different ways so it's all good. I'm hoping to get hold of one of those dance to fitness videos too one of these days. Hope this helps.

Postby chauntelle » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:41 am

I started exercising last week, and I've been walking for half an hour in the mornings (lots of hills), and going to Curves 3 days per week (which is circuit training with resistance weights).

After 2 weeks I feel like I'm not progressing enough, and I'm going to increase the walking to 45mins.

However, these things take time and it's best to start small and work your way up. Once something starts to get easy for me I make it harder, eg, by adding more hills, or walking for longer.

Hope this helps...good luck with it all!

Postby Dolly » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:56 am

Hi Emma, whilst being with eDiets I noticed that many people there favoured walking as their main source of exercise, but in the same light I also noticed many of them were wearing out their knee joints, needing total knee replacement sugery.

My parents who love walking have also recently had total knee replacement surgery.
I used to walk avidly for 30 minutes per day 5 days per week (sometimes 45 minutes) but my left knee started to ache (it also ached when I did knee lunges or got in the cold weather)
because I don't wish to have knee replacement surgery in the future, I've decided that stretching the muscles whilst doing a yoga DVD and doing sit ups and lifting my dumbells (also cutting down on my food intake) is the only way I'm going to lose weight and exercise.

My 86 year old mother-in-law has never exercised in her life and has never had surgery.

Postby Dolly » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:38 pm

I found this article on how much exercise do women really need.

Image ... y_need.htm

Return to Exercise Talk