It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:22 pm

Free Newsletter

Exercise for ankle muscles!

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Exercise for ankle muscles!

Postby chubbywife79 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Does anyone know any exercise to help for weak ankle muscles? Any exercise I do lately my ankle especially my left one which I broke 4 years ago kills.

Postby milkyway » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:46 pm

I have suffered from injured ankles which resulted in achillies probs. What I do is after each run, walk etc. I stretch the achillies on step by standing on the ball of my feet and toes and dropped my heel over the edge and holding for a good 30 seconds and repeat. This is a great stretch and strengthening exercise. My PT used to get me to hold light weights on my hands too, to help strengthen it. Hope this helps somewhat.

If you continue to get sore ankles, it might be worth visiting a podiatrist and getting fitted for orthotics and a finding a pair of shoes that suit your gait.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby Sas » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:21 am

Over the last 2 years I have broken bones in both of my feet from over-use and consequently have had them in wlking boots which imobilise the ankle. This weakened all the stabiliser muscles in my ankles so to strengthen them my physio gave me the following exercises which may be useful for you:

- stand on one foot for 30 seconds without holding onto anything. Alternate feet.

- calf raises. To begin with do them on a flat surface and build up to doing them over a step so that you are going through a greater range of motion.

- use a thera band to do plantarflexion, dorsiflexion, inversion and eversion against resistance.

Hope that helps! :)

Postby SarahC » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:08 am

Sorry I just found this thread now :oops:

Anyway, I have no ankle muscles. I saw a physio some time ago, and got a bunch of excercises. Only one that's not been mentioned so far is a wobble board (it's a circular board with a rounded piece in the middle, if that makes sense) - you stand on that on one foot and try and balance on it. Most gyms have them. It's quite fun, if not a little frustrating :P

Return to Exercise Talk