It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:37 am

Free Newsletter

RPM

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

RPM

Postby milkyway » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:15 pm

OK - so tonight I did my second ever RPM class. It's boring as all hell but it only goes for 45 minutes and it's the only class that actually makes me sweat... a lot! And it takes a lot to make me sweat. And I figure it's a good cross training class to do.

Anyway, are there any non-RPM novices out there that can tell me what I should and shouldn't be doing? It's so hard to hear the instructor over the music and all I get is the occassional '70RPM' or 'UP' and I'm not sure if he's talking about standing up or putting the resistance up (usually opposite to what I do...) and I have no idea what kind of resistance I should be doing for the hills, sprints etc.

Any ideas?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:53 pm

Hiya San!

I've been doing RPM for over a year and a half now and LOVE it! Ok I'll tell you a bit about it!

With all of the speed work, you want to make sure you've got enough resistance on to do a decent speed, but so that your bum isn't jiggling and bouncing all over the place in the saddle. With the hills work, it needs to be hard to push, but still smooth.

Track 1 - Warm up.
This is just to get the blood pumping, muscles warmed up (as you'd know!) so you're just taking it easy, maybe starting to feel a little sweat on your forehead at the end of the track.

Track 2 - Pace Track
First bit of work. Usually has Ride Easy (hands in front of you on the bars and just riding at a moderate pace) and then going into bursts of speed with Racing (hands reached out to a higher point in the handlebars. Then there's a bit of Standing Climbs where you're obviously standing and have your hands at the top of the bars. Make sure your butt is back over your seat and you can feel the seat on the inside of your thighs with each pedal.

Track 3 - Hills
A mix of Seated and Standing Climbs. The instructor should tell you when to increase resistance, but basically each time after you do some recovery, you should be putting more resistance on. Make sure you're not struggling to turn the pedals and using your lower back, it's all from the legs. You should be just struggling to keep with the beat of the music. If your legs can go faster than the beat, put more resistance on.

Track 4 - Mixed Terrain (recovery)
A bit like Track 2. Same movements in the same kind of order. If you really need a recovery, take it easy and use light resistance during the track and just stay in Ride Easy and don't go too hard or fast. If you want to work a bit harder, put a bit more resistance on so that you can feel it in your legs!

Track 5 - Intervals
Very quick!! Usually 3-5 intervals of Standing Attacks (similar to Standing Climbs but you have a bit less resistance on so you can go a lot quicker. Like a standing sprint really) and Racing. You have more resistance on than usual in this track with the Racing, and then there's usually some Aero with your hands in the middle bars where you go that little bit harder.

Track 6 - Free Spin (recovery)
Working up to your top speed. A mix of Ride Easy and Racing (some of the newer RPM releases also have some Climbs). You can use it as a recovery or use it to gradually work up to your top speed. Comfortable resistance, enough so that you can last the distance of the sprints (usually 40-60 secs). Last bit of speed work.

Track 7 - Mountain Climb
Just like the Hill Climb, only longer and harder!! More resistance on than the Hills. Seated and Standing Climbs, sometimes at the end you'll have 15-30 secs where you do a bit of a Standing Attack just to finish off with.

Tracks 8 & 9 - Cool down & Stretches
Self explanatory!

I hope that helps, girl! It does make it hard when you can't see/hear what the instructor is saying. Maybe you can ask them to turn their microphone up, or let you know when to turn up the resistance? Just listen to your body, and push through it :D

If you have any other questions just let me know :D
Em xoxo
zeedeveelgirl

Postby milkyway » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:00 pm

Thanks Em - that's brilliant and just what I needed to hear :)

The best bit was the mountain climb.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:22 pm

I love the mountain climb too :D I prefer all the climbing to the speed work!
I can't believe you find RPM boring!! I bet if you had a good instructor you'd change your mind :D But then again, it's not for everyone!!
zeedeveelgirl

Return to Exercise Talk