It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:23 am

Free Newsletter

Whats the best thing to do when...

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Whats the best thing to do when...

Postby Fiona25 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:45 am

You're really sore the day after?

I worked really hard yesterday and its mainly my calves that are KILLING me today! I went for a light, slow type of walk this morning for 15 minutes. I'll go for another later on and do some light weights at home and maybe a short horse ride.

Should I push myself through the pain barrier today and go for a run or let myself take it easy today and do things that won't really make my sore bits ache more?

It doesn't feel like a muscle strain/tear pain, just that feeling where I really know i've used my muscles.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Mandie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:01 am

I know what you mean Fiona - same situation for myself today!

I think it's a good idea to do some light exercise, and definitely do some stretching - particularly calf stretches ,if that is where you are most sore. I'd try to do it 4 or 5 times throughout the day, more if possible!

Just don't do anything that is too strenuous on your sore muscles, or you risk an injury. Stretching is the best thing for them - and don't forget to stretch before and after you exercise in future, to decrease the soreness of the muscles later!
Mandie

Postby Fiona25 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:17 am

Thanks Mandie!

I'm bad with stretching :oops:

I do it after my curves workout but not before or after weights/walking/running etc

Will start today though!

Oh and I realised that my obliques are sore today in a good way which i'm thrilled about because that is mainly where I want to lose weight and this is the first time they have been sore since i've started exercising!

Fiona25

Postby SarahC » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:14 am

A reaallly hot (as hot as you can stand it) bath!! That works for me. Or a sauna if you have access to one :D
SarahC

Postby milkyway » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:17 pm

If you're still keen to exercise, focus on the upper body - some weights/resistance training, tricep dips, push ups etc. Hope you feel better soon!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Fiona25 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:11 pm

I must've read your mind milkyway, thats exactly what I did today!!!

Fiona25

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:22 pm

You're awesome, Fiona :D A lot of people would have used soreness as an excuse to not do any exercise at all but you're right in there doing it :D You're going to be at goal before you know it chickie :D

Em xoxo
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Fiona25 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:53 pm

Thanks Em!

I just love the support here, this forum is keeping me pumped! I actually feel addicted to exercise :shock:

It was only a few weeks ago that I would around until I found a park close to where I wanted to shop, now I park far away to get that little bit of extra walking in, even if its only a few hundred metres.

I'm not using the quad bike around the farm as much either. When I feed the horses, I used to hook the trailer up and go around and now I load the wheel barrow up - hard work pushing that up a hill and doing the rounds but its saving fuel and burning fat so its worth it!

I hope i'm not as sore tomorrow so I can go for a hard walk with a bit of running.

Fiona25

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:46 pm

I'm glad the forum is helping you :D You deserve to be supported - you're motivated, you know what you want and you're going to get it :D

All the little things like parking further away from the shops and using the quad bike less all add up :D I can't believe some people are so lazy that they'd rather get annoyed cruising for closer parks than park a bit further and walk!!

Good luck for not being as sore tomorrow :D

Em xoxo
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Fiona25 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:06 am

Ok girls...this morning I wake up and my whole body is aching so bad!!!

My whole legs, those muscles underneath vertically underneath my arms all way down to my hips are the worst.

So today i'm going to go for a 1hr walk but will take it easy. I feel like my calf muscles are going to fall out of my legs :shock:

I will ride one of my horses too.

Weigh in tomorrow, I hope this hard work has paid off!!!!

Fiona25

Postby milkyway » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:02 am

Take some Advil, Act 3 or Nurofen - they'll take away some of that soreness. I swear by them. I have a dodgy knee and if I take one with breakfast before I run, I forget that I have a sore knee.

(*Disclaimer - I have approval to run from my Osteo with a sore knee - there's no swelling or inflamation around the joint so not doing any long-term damage :))
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Fiona25 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:23 am

Thanks MW - thats a pretty good idea :idea:

I went for a 1hr bushwalk on our farm this morning. Approx 3kms. I will go for a ride soon too. I feel lazy since I can't run, so I hope i'm doing enough.

I want to be ok by Monday so I can go to curves and the some swimming afterwards - aiming for an increase of at least 2 laps :D

Fiona25

Return to Exercise Talk